1. Make the meat counter your last stop in the supermarket.
2. The meat package should be cold, without any tears or excessive juice.
3. For the highest quality beef, buy before the sell by date.
4. Don’t see what you want? Ask the butcher if they’ve got it fresh in the back.
1. Place meat in the coldest part of your fridge as soon as you can (within 30 minutes) after buying it.
2. Uncooked ground beef will keep in refrigerator for about 2 days and steaks, chops and roasts for 3-5 days.
3. You can freeze beef in its original packaging if you plan to use in a few weeks. If freezing longer, wrap in a moisture-proof freezer bag.
4. Uncooked ground beef, wrapped properly, will keep in the freezer for 3-4 months. Steaks and chops for about 4-6 months. A roast will keep for up to 9 months.