Simply delicious…This dish is chockfull of vegetables, healthy brown rice and a little lean protein. It’s low in calories, gluten-free, dairy-free and very flavorful! Each generous serving has 255 calories, 13 grams of fat and 6 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 cup cooked brown rice, I like Basmati, see shopping tips
1 cup red bell pepper, cut into thin bite-size pieces
½ cup carrots, chopped
½ cup celery, chopped
¼ cup reduced sodium soy sauce
¼ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 tablespoons peanut butter, I used natural, chunky
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or vinegar
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
2 teaspoon ginger, from a jar, see shopping tips
¼-½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
½ pound 99% fat-free ground turkey, see prep tips
3 scallions, cut into ½-inch pieces
1. Cook rice according to package directions; set aside. Cook rice a few days in advance, if desired.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl or plate, add red bell peppers, carrots and celery. Cook in microwave for 3-4 minutes, to soften.
3. Meanwhile, in blender, combine soy sauce, broth, peanut butter, lime juice, garlic, ginger, and crushed red pepper. Set Aside
4. Coat a large, nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add ground turkey and cook until brown. Stir often to break up into a crumble. Add sauce, softened veggies and cook, stirring over low heat. Continue to cook and stir until everything is hot.
5. Stir in cooked brown rice and scallions. Cook 1 more minute, until thoroughly heated.
6. Divide among 4 plates or bowls. Any leftovers freeze great.
Makes 4 servings (~1½ cups each serving)
My favorite rice to use is Basmati brown rice. You can find it now in most supermarkets. I bought it at Trader Joe’s. They now sell quick cooking Basmati brown rice too. Or, use your favorite brown rice.
Many super markets along with Trader joe’s sell instant brown rice. This is a quick alternative.
Ginger (in a jar) is a terrific product and can be found in the produce section of the supermarket. Store the jar in the refrigerator.
Most ground turkey comes in 1 pound or 1.25 pound packages. This recipe only uses ½ pound. Freeze remaining turkey for another use. Be sure to wrap well.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 6-Blue
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 6-Green
WW Points Plus 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1½ cups serving
255 calories,13g fat, 2g sat. fat, 0mg chol, 9g prot, 24g carbs, 4g fiber, 663mg sod, 4g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
212 calories, 2g sat. fat, 7g protein, 1g sugar