If you love the flavors of stuffed bell peppers, you’ll love this main course soup! It has everything you like about a stuffed pepper, ground beef, rice, tomatoes and of course bell peppers. The bell peppers are chopped and added to the soup. Plus, I’ve switched things up a bit by swapping the rice with cauliflower rice. It’s warm and inviting and a super hearty and healthy soup. Each huge bowl has just 235 calories, 7 grams of fat, and 3 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 7 Green. Here’s to a big bowl of goodness!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
4 cups bell peppers, I used red, yellow, and orange, diced or use all red (~ 3 large or 4 medium)
2 cups yellow onions, diced
1 pound extra-lean ground beef, I used grass-fed
1½ tablespoons olive oil
1 (16 oz) bag riced cauliflower, see shopping tips
1½ teaspoons dried Italian seasonings
1 teaspoon garlic powder
A little salt and black pepper, to taste. I added Trader Joe’s garlic salt and black pepper
Pinch of red pepper flakes
4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
Reduced-fat cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese for serving, optional
1. In a microwave-safe medium bowl. add the diced bell peppers and onions. Cook for 6 minutes in the microwave, until softened. Set aside.
2. In a large, nonstick pan or pot, add ground beef and cook, breaking up the meat and stirring occasionally, until no longer pink, about 3 minutes. Drain in sink and set cooked meat aside.
3. In the same large pan or pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add cauliflower rice and sauté until softened, about 6 minutes. Stir often.
4. To the cauliflower rice, add cooked bell peppers/onions and all the seasonings. Mix well. Stir in browned beef, broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and Worcestershire sauce. Bring up to a boil, then down to simmer. Cover and continue to simmer for about 20-25 minutes until all veggies are soft.
5. Ladle 2 cups of soup into each bowl and top each with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese, if desired
6. Any leftovers freeze great!
Makes 6 servings. Each serving, 2 cups.
Bell peppers come in a variety of colors. Did you know that green peppers are just unripe red peppers? Because they are not fully mature, they have a bitter after taste. The red, yellow, orange taste naturally sweet. I personally dislike the green so whenever a recipe calls for bell peppers, I opt for red, orange, or yellow.
Sweet bell peppers are a good source of vitamin A, C, and folate. The green ones have half the vitamin C and 1/10th the vitamin A compared to red, orange, and yellow ones.
Trader Joe’s sells a 16-ounce bag of riced cauliflower. It saves you a lot of time not having to prep the cauliflower. In addition, many supermarkets such as Target and Walmart carry Green Giant’s (16 oz) bag of cauliflower crumble in the produce section.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 3-Blue
WW SmartPoints 7-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 2 cups
235 calories, 7g fat, 2g sat. fat, 33mg chol, 21g prot, 25g carbs, 5g fiber, 989mg sod, 13g sugar
FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints