Want a super yummy, creative, pretty, and healthy recipe? Well, you’re going to love this pizza-inspired recipe! And it’s very flexible. You can add any toppings you desire. To make this recipe easy, I like to cook the squash in the microwave. But, I’ve included directions to bake in the oven, if you prefer. Each huge serving has 358 calories, 18 grams of fat and 8 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 8 Green WW SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes for squash
Bake Time: 10 minutes for pizza
1 medium spaghetti squash (about 3-4 pounds total)
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon garlic, minced
4 packed cups baby spinach, about 4 ounces
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1 cup pizza sauce, store-bought, I used Ragu
¾ cup part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. To Cook Spaghetti Squash in Microwave: Pierce all over the whole squash with a sharp knife. Place on a paper towel in microwave. Cook on high heat for 5 minutes. Turn over and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Turn over again and cook for 2 minutes. And, turn over again and cook for about 2 minutes. It’s ready when soft all around. Might need to turn once again and continue to cook for 2-4 minutes. Remove from microwave and set aside to cool slightly. Once cool enough to handle, carefully cut in half using a sharp knife. Remove the inside pulp and seeds.
2. To Bake Spaghetti Squash in Oven: Preheat to 400 degrees. Using a sharp knife, cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Place cut side down on baking sheet and roast until flesh is easily shreddable, about 40 minutes.
3. Next, in a large non-stick pan over medium, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add spinach and cook, stirring often, until it’s wilted. Set aside.
4. To each half of squash, fluff the interiors with a fork to make the insides spaghetti-like. Divide the spinach and Parmesan into the spaghetti squash and stir them into the squash.
5. Season to taste with a little salt and pepper. Spread ½ cup pizza sauce generously over each. Top each with ½ of the mozzarella cheese and 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese.
6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put the squash on a baking sheet, place in the oven, and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese melted.
Makes 2 servings
Leftovers keep well, covered and refrigerated, for about 4 days. This recipe reheats easily in the microwave.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 8-Blue
WW SmartPoints 8-Green
WW Points Plus
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
358 calories, 18g fat, 6g sat. fat, 26mg chol, 21g protein, 36g carbs, 8g fiber, 854mg sod, 14g sugar
|Facts: for Freestyle SmartPoints
248 calories, 6g sat. fat, 16g protein, 6g sugar