Minimizing is the new super-sizing and these little sliders are terrific. No need to heat up the barbecue because these mini burgers are best made on a George Foreman grill, Panini maker, or in a pan. The deep, subtle sweetness of the caramelized onions really adds a wonderful flavor to these little gems. To make them skinny, I’m using very lean ground beef. Next, cook the onions in the microwave first before sautéeing in a pan. This allows you to use just a teaspoon of oil. For the bun, a high fiber mini sandwich thins instead of a regular mini bun. Each slider has 131 calories, 3 grams of fat and 3 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 3 Green. I love to either serve them as an appetizer or as a meal. For a meal, 1 slider should be enough if you serve with other foods such as Skinny Fries or Sweet Potato Fries and Simply, Skinny Crunchy Slaw.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients for Grilled Onions:
2 large yellow onions, cut into slices
1 teaspoon olive oil
1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Ingredients for Burgers:
1 pound extra-lean ground beef, I used Trader Joe’s extra lean ground beef (96/4)
1 egg white
1 small yellow onion grated, about 1 cup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon barbecue sauce
½ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
12 Oroweat Sandwich Thins Mini’s (100% whole wheat)
Ingredients for Toppings:
12 tomato slices, cut thin
Pickle slices on toothpicks for garnish, optional, see shopping tip
1. To make grilled onions: Place the sliced onions on a microwave-safe plate. Cook for about 5 minutes in the microwave until onions are soft. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add olive oil and heat. Add cooked onions and 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. Sauté on medium heat until onions are very soft and browned about 6-8 minutes. If the pan gets too dry, add a little water while cooking. Stir often. Keep warm or reheat before serving. These can be made earlier in the day and reheated.
2. Heat a George Foreman grill or Panini maker.
3. In a large bowl, add ground beef, egg white, grated onions, Worcestershire sauce, barbecue sauce, seasoning salt, and pepper. Using your hands or a fork, gently mix together. Shape mixture into 12 balls and flatten into very thin patties. Form the patties as large as you can since they shrink when cooked.
4. To cook on a George Foreman grill or Panini maker: Heat the George Foreman grill or Panini maker and coat with cooking spray. Place burgers on the grill, flatten a bit with a spatula, close lid, and cook for about 2 minutes until cook through. Remove from grill to a plate and continue cooking the remaining patties. Coat with cooking spray each time.
5. To cook in a pan: Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add 4-6 patties and cook over medium-high heat, for 2 minutes. Turn over and continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until cook through. Remove patties from pan. Coat pan with cooking spray and continue cooking the remaining patties. Be sure to coat the pan with cooking spray before cooking all the patties.
6. To serve: Spread each sandwich thin with 1 teaspoon ketchup and mustard. Add 1 patty and top each with a tomato slice and some grilled onions. Add the top of the sandwich thin.
Makes 12 sliders (If you’re serving with other foods, 1 slider is most likely enough)
White Castle is an American regional fast-food hamburger restaurant chain in the Midwestern United States. and in New York. The first of its kind in the U.S. It is known for its small, square hamburgers. Sometimes referred to as “sliders.” White Castle burgers were priced at five cents until the 1940s and remained at ten cents for years thereafter.
Look for Oroweat Sandwich Thins Mini’s in most supermarkets in the bread aisle. They have 50 calories per mini roll.
Bubbies kosher dill pickles are the best-tasting pickles sold in jars. You’ll find them in the refrigerated deli section. I bought them at Food 4 Less, Von’s/Safeway and Whole Foods. Bubbies are sold outside California in many natural food stores such as Whole Foods, Wild Oats, Organic Food Depot, and Co-op stores.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 3-Blue
WW SmartPoints 3-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 3
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slider (including the ketchup and mustard)
131 calories, 3g fat, 1g sat. fat, 17mg chol, 11g protein, 18g carbs, 4g fiber, 289mg sodium, 1g sugar