I’m spicing things up a bit with this Brazilian inspired recipe. In Brazil, they have restaurants called Churrascarias, where they serve barbecued meats called Churrasco. They’re typically served with a salsa-like sauce as an accompaniment. I’m doing the same by creating a spicy dry rub for the meat and topping with a colorful citrus salsa of orange segments, tomatoes and onions. Each serving has 266 calories, 10 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. Try this dish with my recipes for Garlic Sauteed Spinach and Fingerling Roasted Potatoes. What a delicious skinny feast!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ingredients for Salsa:
1 cup fresh orange segments, sliced into pieces
½ cup grape tomatoes, halved
⅓ cup red onions, chopped
2 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
Pinch of salt
Ingredients for Steak:
1½ teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoons oregano
1 teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper to taste
1½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 flank steak (about 1 pound)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1. Preheat grill to medium-high. Brush grill grate with olive oil or coat with olive oil spray. See how to broil steak, under Broiling Tip, below, if desired.
2. In a medium bowl, add all the salsa ingredients and mix to blend. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
3. In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir in vinegar to create a paste. Rub paste over both sides of steak.
4. Place steak on grill. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce and grill covered for about 4-5 minutes. Turn over, drizzle 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce over the top, cover and continue to cook for 4-5 minutes for medium-rare.
5. Remove steak from grill, tent with foil, and let rest for 5 minutes.
6. Slice steak against the grain into thin slices. Divide among 4 plates and top with salsa.
Churrascaria is distinctly a South America style rotisserie. The origin comes from the fireside roasts of the gauchos of southern Brazil, centuries ago.
The reason flank steak is usually served in thin slices is because it tends to be a tough cut and slicing into to thin pieces helps tenderize it.
Instead of grilling, position oven rack 6 inches from heat source and preheat broiler. Place steak on a pan lined with foil. Drizzle 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce over top of steak and broil for 5 minutes. Turn over, drizzle 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce on top and cook for about 5 minutes for medium-rare. Cook longer for more well done, if desired.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 5
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
266 calories, 10g fat, 4g sat. fat, 90mg chol, 33g prot, 12g carbs, 2g fiber, 313mg sod, 7g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
234 calories, 4g sat. fat, 32g protein, 2g sugar