Everyone will LOVE this super moist, harvest coffee cake! It’s so easy to make since it starts with a cake mix. Each skinny slice has 226 calories, 8 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. This rustic cake is fantastic to make for company this time of year. Or just bake it, slice into individual servings and freeze for a wonderful treat in the future!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 1 hour
Ingredients for Cake:
Cooking spray (with flour in it)
1 package (16.25 oz) Duncan Hines yellow cake mix
2 tablespoons flour
1 package (3.4 oz) vanilla instant pudding mix
1¼ cups canned pumpkin
½ cup water
⅓ cup canola oil
3 egg whites
1 large egg, I love Egg-Land’s Best eggs
I teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup rolled oats, divided
Ingredients for Hot Buttermilk Glaze:
¼ cup sugar
4 packages Truvia, Splenda or your favorite sugar substitute
¼ cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
¼ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9” angel food cake pan, spring form pan or bundt pan with cooking spray.
2. Using an electric mixer or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, combine cake mix, flour, pudding, pumpkin, water and canola oil.
3. Add egg whites and egg and mix well.
4. Stir in vanilla, pumpkin spice and cinnamon.
5. Mix on high for at least one minute. Scrape down sides and mix again.
6. Pour ½ of the batter evenly into pan. Sprinkle with ¼ cup rolled oats. Pour remaining batter and spread evenly. Sprinkle with remaining ¼ cup rolled oats. Shake the pan on work surface after filling the batter to even out the batter.
7. Bake for at least 1 hour until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. It might take an extra 5 to 10 minutes depending on your oven. Let rest at least 15 minutes before removing from pan.
To make the glaze:
1. Place the sugar, sugar substitute, buttermilk, light butter, baking soda and vanilla in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat.
2. Bring to a boil stirring constantly.
3. The glaze will foam up and thicken as the sugar dissolves and butter melts, about 2-3 minutes.
4. Using a fork, poke 12 holes all over warm cake and spoon the hot buttermilk glaze all over cake.
Makes 16 slices (each serving 1/16 of cake)
Although cake isn’t healthy, pumpkin, including canned, is great source of beta- carotene, the vegetable pigment that the body turns into vitamin A. Pumpkin also contains a hefty amount of fiber, ample amounts of iron and vitamin C.
Using a combination of sugar and sugar substitute in the glaze cuts the sugars and carbs down but doesn’t compromise the taste at all.
Weight Watchers (old points) 5
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
226 calories, 8g fat, 3g protein, 36g carbs, 1g fiber, 314mg sodium, 21g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 slice cake using full fat ingredients and nuts instead of oats
539 cal, 34g fat, 7g protein, 54g carbs, 2g fiber, 460mg, sodium, 25g sugar