These are so good! One bite and you might even give up making regular Sloppy Joes. If you are in a dinner rut, this is the perfect recipe to try. Each has 308 calories, 8 grams of fat, 7 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 7 Green.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
2 cups onions, chopped
2 red bell peppers, chopped
1 pound extra-lean ground beef, see shopping tips
1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
⅓ + 1 tablespoon steak sauce
2 tablespoons ketchup
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
½ teaspoon garlic powder
8 slices light cheese (Provolone, Swiss, Mozzarella or Jarlsberg)
8 whole-wheat hot dog buns, I used Nature’s Harvest, see shopping tips
1. In a large microwave-safe bowl, add onions and bell peppers. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. In the meantime, in a large, nonstick pan add the beef. Cook until no longer pink. Be sure to break up the beef while browning. Drain fat.
3. Stir in softened onions and bell peppers, beef broth, steak sauce, ketchup, and Worcestershire. Season with ground pepper and garlic powder. Simmer until half of the liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to broil. Line a baking sheet with foil. Add the buns to a baking sheet. Open each side almost all the way but still keep the top and bottom of each bun somewhat attached. Spread over the top of each bun about ½ cup meat mixture. It won’t cover the entire bun. Cut each slice of cheese in half and lay the 2 halves on top of meat. Broil open-faced sandwiches until the bun is lightly toasted and the cheese is melted.
5. You can make as little as 1 or all 8 at once. Any leftover meat mixture freezes great. Pack in single or double serving size containers then freeze.
6. Serve with a fork and knife. It’s easier to eat that way.
Makes 8 Philly Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
Most supermarkets sell extra lean ground beef. I used the 96% lean ground beef from Trader Joe’s. In addition, I like to use 85% lean grass feed ground beef. Most supermarkets sell this type of ground beef. Since you drain the fat before you add all the other ingredients, this ends up being extra lean. Or, you could use ground turkey, if desired.
I used Nature’s Harvest 100% hot dog buns. Each has 150 calories. I bought mine at Vons/Safeway. Most supermarkets sell some type of whole wheat or whole-grain hot dog bun.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 7-Blue
WW SmartPoints 7–Green
WW Points Plus 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 Philly Cheesesteak
308 calories, 8g fat, 2g sat. fat, 25mg chol, 26g protein, 36g carbs, 5g fiber, 745mg sod, 8g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle Points
281 calories, 2g sat. fat, 5g sugar, 25g protein