When I think of Italian comfort food, a yummy lasagna comes to mind. This lasagna is so decadently delicious and made without noodles! It’s skinny since using 99% fat-free turkey, fat-free ricotta cheese, and loads of zucchini, mushrooms, and onions. Each velvety, cheesy slice has just 234 calories, 5 grams of fat, and only 5 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints and 5 Green. It’s a real keeper!!!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 25 minutes
1½ cups onions, chopped
3 cups mushrooms, sliced
3 cups (~3 medium) zucchini, sliced into rounds (⅛” thick)
½ pound 99% fat-free ground turkey
½ tablespoon garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
Fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
1 (24 oz) jar pasta sauce, I used Classico Tomato and Basil or use your favorite
1 (15 oz) container fat-free ricotta cheese, see shopping tips
½ cup light mozzarella cheese, shredded
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated, see food facts
1 large egg, I like using Egg-Land’s Best
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a microwave-safe bowl, add onions and mushrooms. Cook in the microwave for 4 minutes. Drain liquid. Next, place zucchini in a microwave-safe bowl and cook in the microwave for about 3 minutes, until soft. Drain liquid.
3. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add ground turkey and garlic. Cook, breaking up the pieces until browned. Once browned, stir in 1 cup pasta sauce, cooked onions and mushrooms, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Mix well.
4. In a bowl, mix together the ricotta cheese and egg. Combine well.
5. To assemble lasagna: Spread ¾ cup pasta sauce on the bottom of baking pan. Add ½ of cooked zucchini. Spread ½ ricotta mixture over zucchini. Spread the entire turkey mixture over top of the ricotta. Add remaining zucchini over top of turkey. Add remaining ricotta. Spread remaining pasta sauce over the top of the ricotta. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese all over. Finally sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
6. Cover with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
7. Remove foil and let casserole sit for 15 minutes. Cut into 6 slices.
8. This casserole freezes great!
Makes 6 servings (each serving, 1 slice)
Grated Parmesan cheese is finer than shredded. Shredded looks like thin strips, grated is more of a powdery consistency and is usually done with harder cheeses like Parmesan. You’ll find grated Parmesan cheese in containers and sold in all supermarkets.
Fat-free ricotta cheese, light mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese are great sources of protein and calcium.
Zucchini is high in fiber, water, vitamin A, vitamin C and potassium.
Mushrooms contain fiber, iron, folate, and vitamin C. They are also very low in calories. Half of the cup has only 21 calories.
Onions are a very good source of vitamin C, B6, biotin, chromium, calcium, and dietary fiber. In addition, they contain good amounts of folic acid and vitamin B1 and K.
Many supermarkets sell fat-free ricotta cheese in the cheese aisle where other ricotta cheese is found. Sargento makes one. I bought mine at Trader Joe’s.
If you find ricotta cheese or don’t like it, you can use 2 cups of fat-free cottage cheese instead.
Looking to buy a 9-inch square baking pan? I use mine all the time. Great for casseroles, baked chicken, fish and such. And, you can serve your dish right from the pan. Here’s one of my favorites on Amazon.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 5-Blue
WW SmartPoints 5–Green
WW POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
234 calories, 5g fat, 2g sat. fat, 61mg chol, 26g protein, 22g carbs, 3g fiber, 648mg sodium, 12g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
144 calories, 2g sat. fat, 10g sugar, 13g protein