Normally this is not what you picture when you think about enchiladas, right? I’m sharing a super fun twist, stuffing jumbo pasta shells with a yummy chicken enchilada filling! So easy and any leftovers freeze great, too. Each fiber-rich serving has 304 calories, 6 grams of fat, 5 grams of fiber and 5 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 8 Green.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
18 jumbo pasta shells, see shopping tips
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup chicken breasts, cooked and diced (remove skin)
1 cup fat-free cottage cheese
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
½ cup fresh corn kernels, from the cob or frozen (about 1 cob)
1 egg white
1 teaspoon chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 (10-12 oz) jar or can Enchilada Sauce, see shopping tips
½ cup Light Mexican Blend cheese or light cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a baking dish (about 11X 7 inches) with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Cook pasta shells according to package directions, 6-8 minutes, until soft and al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
3. In the meantime, on a microwave-safe plate, cook onions in microwave for 2 minutes. In a large bowl, add onions, chicken, cottage cheese, beans, corn, egg white, chili powder, cumin, black pepper, and ⅓ cup enchilada sauce. Mix well.
4. Stuff each shell with about 3 tablespoons mixture. You should have enough to fill 18 shells. Place shells in baking dish. Pour remaining sauce all over stuffed shells. Sprinkle ½ cup cheese evenly over top of shells.
5. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
6. This dish freezes great. I like to divide into single serving sizes and freeze for another meal or so.
Makes 6 servings, each serving 3 shells and a little sauce drizzled on top
Most supermarkets sell boxes of jumbo pasta shells. They are displayed in the pasta aisle. I used a brand called Barilla.
For this recipe, I used 1 (12oz) bottle of Trader Joe’s Enchilada Sauce. I also did the skinny facts based on this 12 oz bottle. Or you could use 1 (10 oz) can of red enchilada sauce found at most supermarkets.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 5-Blue
WW SmartPoints 8-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (3 stuffed shells)
304 calories, 6g fat, 23g protein, 45g carbs, 5g fiber, 581mg sodium, 4g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
190 calories, 0g sat fat, 11g protein, 3g sugar