Here’s an unexpected spin on the classic cheeseburger that’s so tasty and fun! Your kids will love it too. I enjoy my burgers topped with Thousand Island dressing so I’m doing just that with this wonderful salad. The flavors meld together well. I suggest you make this dressing in advance, so the salad will come together quickly. Each large, main course salad has 242 calories, 9 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers FreeStyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Chill Time for Dressing: 1 hour
Ingredients for Thousand Island Dressing:
Ingredients for Burger Crumble:
1 pound extra lean ground beef, I used Trader Joe’s (96/4), see shopping tip
1 cup yellow onions, diced
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt or salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Salads:
24 cups romaine lettuce (each salad uses 4 cups)
¾ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
3 cups tomatoes, chopped
1. Prepare the Skinny Thousand Island dressing and refrigerate. Can be made several days in advance. Or use a store bought light Thousand Island or Ranch dressing.
2. To make burger crumble: In a large, nonstick pan add ground beef and onions. Brown over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes. Stir often, breaking up beef, into a crumble. Once browned, pour into a colander in the sink to drain any fat.
3. Add browned beef back to pan. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, seasoning salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir often.
4. To make one salad: Line a dinner plate with 4 cups lettuce. Top lettuce with ½ cup warm burger crumble. Sprinkle with ½ cup tomatoes (drained). Drizzle 2 tablespoons Thousand Island dressing over salad. Top with 2 tablespoons cheese.
5. You don’t have to make all 6 salads at once. Pack the burger crumble in individual containers and freeze for more salads in the future.
Makes 6 main course salads. Each serving 1 salad
Most supermarkets sell extra lean ground beef. I used the 96% lean ground beef from Trader Joe’s.
Weight Watchers FreeStyle SmartPoints 5
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 main course salad
242 calories, 9g fat, 3g sat. fat, 54mg chol, 25g prot, 20g carbs, 5g fiber, 704mg sod, 3g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
182 calories, 3g sat. fat, 3g sugar, 20g protein