Here’s an unexpected spin on the classic cheeseburger that’s so tasty and fun! Your kids will love it too. I enjoy my burgers topped with Thousand Island dressing so I’m doing just that with this wonderful salad. The flavors meld together well. I suggest you make this dressing in advance, so the salad will come together quickly. Each large, main course salad has 242 calories, 9 grams of fat and 5 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 5 Green.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Ingredients for Thousand Island Dressing:
Ingredients for Burger Crumble:
1 pound extra-lean ground beef, I used Trader Joe’s (96/4), see shopping tips
1 cup yellow onions, diced
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt or salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Salads:
24 cups romaine lettuce (each salad uses 4 cups)
¾ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
3 cups tomatoes, chopped
1. Prepare the Skinny Thousand Island dressing and refrigerate. It can be made several days in advance. Or use a store-bought light Thousand Island or Ranch dressing.
2. To make burger crumble: In a large, nonstick pan add ground beef and onions. Brown over medium-high heat, about 5 minutes. Stir often, breaking up beef, into a crumble. Once browned, pour into a colander in the sink to drain any fat.
3. Add browned beef back to the pan. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, seasoning salt, and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir often.
4. To make one salad: Line a dinner plate with 4 cups lettuce. Top lettuce with ½ cup warm burger crumble. Sprinkle with ½ cup tomatoes (drained). Drizzle 2 tablespoons Thousand Island dressing over salad. Top with 2 tablespoons cheese.
5. You don’t have to make all 6 salads at once. Pack the burger crumble in individual containers and freeze for more salads in the future.
Makes 6 main course salads. Each serving 1 salad
Most supermarkets sell extra lean ground beef. I used the 96% lean ground beef from Trader Joe’s.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 5-Blue
WW SmartPoints 5-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 main course salad
242 calories, 9g fat, 3g sat. fat, 54mg chol, 25g prot, 20g carbs, 5g fiber, 704mg sod, 3g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
182 calories, 3g sat. fat, 3g sugar, 20g protein