I don’t know about you but sometimes I just want something sweet for breakfast. Well, this homey bread pudding tastes sweet and delicious and yet still pretty healthy. It’s made with ingredients such as multi-grain or whole wheat bread, unsweetened applesauce, chopped apples, an egg, brown sugar, and a little cinnamon. Each serving has 198 calories, 2 grams of fat, and 6 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 6 Green. It really does satisfy a morning sweet craving and tastes equally yummy for dessert. Something the whole family will enjoy!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 35 minutes
Ingredients for Bread Pudding:
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup buttermilk or reduced-fat milk
¼ cup brown sugar, packed
1 large egg, I like using Egg-Land’s Best eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 slices multi-grain or whole wheat bread, cubed, I love Milton’s multigrain
1 cup apple, peeled & chopped
Ingredients for Topping:
1 package sugar substitute such as Stevia, Truvia, or Splenda
½ teaspoon cinnamon
Fat-free whipped cream or fat-free vanilla yogurt, optional
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Coat 4 glass custard cups (6-ounce )size, which is 4″ wide) or same size ramekin or small baking dishes with cooking spray, see shopping tip
2. In a large bowl, combine applesauce, milk, brown sugar, egg, vanilla extract, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Fold in bread cubes and chopped apple.
3. Let stand for 15 minutes or until bread is softened.
4. Pour into the 4 glass custard cups. Mix together 1 package sugar substitute of your choice and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle a little on top of each. Place the 4 custard cups on a baking pan. Bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
5. Serve warm. Dollop with a little whipped cream or yogurt on top, if desired. Refrigerate leftovers.
Makes 4 servings (each serving, 1 custard cup full of bread pudding)
Clear glass custard cups are not only perfect for desserts but also come in handy when using different ingredients while cooking and baking. You can buy them in places such as Target and Bed, Bath and Beyond. They are available in a variety of sizes. I’m using the 6 ounce size which are 4″ wide, for this recipe.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 6-Blue
WW SmartPoints 6-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: 1 serving (each serving, 1 custard cup full of bread pudding)
198 calories, 2g fat, 6g protein, 45g carbs, 4g fiber, 135mg sodium, 28g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
163 calories, 2g fat, 0g sat. fat, 44mg chol, 6g protein, 36g carbs, 2g fiber, 134mg sodium, 17g sugar