You’re in for a real treat with this hearty home-cooked breakfast. I’m adding grated apple to the sausage to make it both moist and flavorful. It definitely taste like the fattening kind! The skinny for this open-faced sandwich is 245 calories, 7 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. A McDonald’s Sausage Biscuit with Egg has a scary 510 calories and 33 grams of fat!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
1 lb. ground chicken or turkey, see shopping tip
1 red apple, peeled and grated, such as Gala, Fuji or Pink Lady
¾ cup onions, grated
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons olive oil
5 egg whites
2½ Oroweat Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins, toasted, see shopping tip
4 teaspoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
1 large tomato, sliced into 5 slices
1. In a large bowl, mix together chicken, apple, onions, sugar, sage, thyme, salt, garlic powder, cayenne and black pepper. Shape into 5 patties. Be sure to shape them at least as large as the sandwich thin as they shrink when cooked.
2. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add patties and cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Turn over and cook an additional 4 minutes until cooked completely. Place on a plate and tent with foil.
3. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil in pan. Add 5 egg whites to pan. Fry until cooked completely. If they run together, just cut them into 5 cooked pieces.
4. To serve: Spread each toasted sandwich thin with 1 teaspoon of reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light. Place each sausage patty on top of 1 piece. Top each with 1 fried egg white. Add a tomato slice.. Serve open faced with a fork and knife, if desired.
5. These sausage patties freeze great. See prep tip.
Makes 5 breakfast sandwiches
I love Oroweat’s Whole Wheat or Multigrain Sandwich Thins. One sandwich thin has 100 calories, 1g fat and 5g fiber. This recipe uses only a half. In addition, these sandwich thins work great for most sandwiches.
Not every market sells ground chicken, however, I used Foster Farms and found it at Von’s/Safeway. Ground turkey also works well with this recipe.
Oroweat Whole Wheat Sandwich Thins can be found in most large supermarkets. If you can’t find them or another brand, use ½ of a whole wheat English muffin for each sandwich.
Even if you’re cooking for one or two people, make the whole recipe. Cooked patties freeze great. I love having extra patties in the freezer so you can make this sandwich even on days when you’re in a hurry. Just cook enough egg whites to eat now. On another day, when you defrost the patties, cook the amount of egg whites needed.
Weight Watchers (old points) 5
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 breakfast sandwich
245 calories, 6.7g fat, 26g protein, 21g carbs, 4g fiber, 504mg sodium, 6g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 McDonald’s Sausage Biscuit with Egg
510 calories, 33g fat, 18g protein, 36g carbs, 2g fiber, 1170mg sodium, 2g sugar