If the sound of something sugar free means not very tasty, you’ll be happy here…This stuffed French toast is absolutely delicious!!! The only sugar comes from the natural sugar from the apples. I used a little sugar substitute for sweetness. If you’d like to use a little sugar instead you easily can. I’ve included the skinny facts using a small amount of a sugar under Prep Tips, below. This dreamy breakfast is terrific on the weekends and it would work well for a quick weekday breakfast too. Each serving has 167 calories, 2 grams of fat, 7 grams of fiber and 4 Weight Watchers Points Plus.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Ingredients for Stuffed French Toast:
1 cup apples, peeled and diced
1 package sugar substitute such as Truvia (Stevia) Splenda or Equal
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 whole wheat sandwich thins, I used Oroweat, see shopping tips
2 tablespoon fat-free cream cheese
1 egg white
1 teaspoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light spread
Ingredients for Topping:
1 package sugar free substitute such as Truvia (Stevia), Splenda or Equal
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Place apples in a small bowl Sprinkle with 1 package sugar substitute and cinnamon. Cook for 1 minute until apples are soft.
2. Spread the bottom inside piece of each sandwich thin with 1 tablespoon cream cheese. Divide apples and spread over top of cream cheese. Top each with remaining sandwich thin to create a sandwich.
3. Add egg white to a shallow bowl. Dip both sandwiches into the egg white, turn each over and dip the other sides. Be sure both sandwiches are dipped well.
4. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Melt 1 teaspoon reduced-fat butter and swirl around bottom of pan. Add both sandwiches to pan and cook over medium-high heat, about 2½ minutes, until golden brown. Using a spatula, turn over and cook the undersides for about 1-2 minutes, until golden brown.
5. To make topping: In a small dish, mix together 1 package sugar substitute and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle top of each sandwich with topping. Serve with a fork and knife.
Makes 2 servings (each serving, 1 full sandwich)
Oroweat Sandwich Thins can be found in most large supermarkets. One sandwich thin has 100 calories, 1g fat and 5g fiber. They come in several flavors with the same nutrition facts. Use your favorite.
Fat-free cream cheese is available in a tube or block of cheese.
If you’re making more than 2, place cooked sandwiches on a baking sheet and keep warm in oven while cooking the others.
Skinny Facts: for 1 sandwich using 1 teaspoon sugar in the apples and 1 teaspoon in the topping
183 calories, 2g fat, 9g protein, 38g carbs, 7g fiber, 368mg sodium, 13g sugar- WW points plus 5
Weight Watchers (old points) 3
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
167 calories, 2g fat, 9g protein, 33g carbs, 7g fiber, 268mg sodium, 9g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for IHop’s Stuffed French toast
830 calories, 33g fat, 15g protein, 116g carbs, 4g fiber, 740mg sodium, 51g sugar