If the sound of something sugar-free means not very tasty, you’ll be happy here…This stuffed French toast is absolutely delicious!!! The only sugar comes from the natural sugar from the apples. I used a little sugar substitute for sweetness. If you’d like to use a little sugar instead you easily can. I’ve included the skinny facts using a small amount of sugar under Prep Tips, below. This dreamy breakfast is terrific on the weekends and it would work well for a quick weekday breakfast too. Each serving has 167 calories, 2 grams of fat, 7 grams of fiber, and 4 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 5 Green.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
Ingredients for Stuffed French Toast:
1 cup apples, peeled and diced
1 package sugar substitute such as Truvia (Stevia) Splenda or Equal
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 whole-wheat sandwich thins, I used Oroweat, see shopping tips
2 tablespoon fat-free cream cheese
1 egg white
1 teaspoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light spread
Ingredients for Topping:
1 package sugar-free substitute such as Truvia (Stevia), Splenda, or Equal
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Place apples in a small bowl Sprinkle with 1 package sugar substitute and cinnamon. Cook for 1 minute until apples are soft.
2. Spread the bottom inside piece of each sandwich thin with 1 tablespoon cream cheese. Divide apples and spread over top of cream cheese. Top each with remaining sandwich thin to create a sandwich.
3. Add egg white to a shallow bowl. Dip both sandwiches into the egg white, turn each over and dip the other sides. Be sure both sandwiches are dipped well.
4. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Melt 1 teaspoon reduced-fat butter and swirl around bottom of pan. Add both sandwiches to pan and cook over medium-high heat, about 2½ minutes, until golden brown. Using a spatula, turn over and cook the undersides for about 1-2 minutes, until golden brown.
5. To make topping: In a small dish, mix together 1 package sugar substitute and ¼ teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle top of each sandwich with topping. Serve with a fork and knife.
Makes 2 servings (each serving, 1 full sandwich)
Oroweat Sandwich Thins can be found in most large supermarkets. They come in several flavors with the same nutrition facts. Use your favorite.
Fat-free cream cheese is available in a tube or block of cheese.
If you’re making more than 2, place cooked sandwiches on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking the others.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 5-Blue
WW SmartPoints 5-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
207 calories, 3g fat, 1g sat fat, 0mg chol, 10g protein, 39g carbs, 6g fiber, 447mg sodium, 10g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
163 calories, 1g sat. fat, 4g sugar, 8g protein