This classic recipe is one of my all-time favorites! Perfect to make with turkey leftovers. In addition to chunks of turkey, it’s chock full of barley, carrots, celery and onions. Soooo yummy! It makes a big pot and freezes great. The skinny for a 2 cup main course serving, 246 calories, 2 grams of fat, 8 grams of fiber and 6 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
1 (48 ounce) container Swanson’s reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 (32 oz) container Swanson’s reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup dried pearl barley
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon from a jar)
1½ cups carrots, sliced
1½ cup celery, sliced
1½ cup onions, chopped
4 cups (16 ounces) cooked turkey breast (skin removed), diced
½ teaspoon dried thyme
½ teaspoon dried sage
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
1. In a large pot, add chicken broth and barley. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
2. In the meantime, in a microwave safe bowl add the garlic, carrots, celery and onions. Cook for about 2 minutes until vegetables are slightly softened.
3. Add vegetables and garlic to broth. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes
4. Stir in thyme, sage and a little pepper. Continue to cook uncovered for 25 minutes.
5. Stir in cooked turkey and cook 5 minutes longer.
Makes 12 cups total (each main course serving 2 cups)
Barley dates back to the Stone Age. The ancient Greeks relied on barley to make bread and athletes attributed much of their strength and physical growth to their barley rich diet.
Pearled barley in high in cholesterol-lowering fiber and is low in fat. A single serving offers 11% of the RDA of iron and has a fair amount of folate and niacin.
You can find dried pearl barley in the supermarket aisle with the dried beans.
If desired, substitute chicken for the turkey.
Weight Watchers (old points) 4 for 2 cups serving
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6 for 2 cups serving
|SKINNY FACTS: for 2 cups
246 calories, 2g fat, 33mg chol, 22g protein, 34g carbs, 8g fiber, 1575mg sodium, 7g sugar
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 cup
123 calories, 1g fat, 16mg chol, 11g protein, 17g carbs, 4g fiber, 785mg sodium, 3g sugar