This is my version of the very popular William Sonoma holiday bark. The difference is I’ve blended two kinds of premium dark chocolate instead of their white and dark chocolate. I made that choice because dark chocolate is actually good for you and white chocolate has no health benefits. To make it a little skinnier, the layers have a little less chocolate and peppermints. This is ridiculously easy to make and quite simply yummy! Package it in small tins or holiday cello bags. Your friends will think you slaved in the kitchen to create this super treat.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes (includes refrigerator time)
1 bag (12 ounces) Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 bag (11.5 ounces) Ghirardelli 60% cacao chocolate chips (bittersweet chocolate)
½ teaspoon peppermint extract
⅓ cup peppermint candy canes, chopped into ¼-inch pieces, (use blue and white candy canes to decorate for Hanukkah)
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Line a 13×9 pan with foil, letting it hang over the sides. Coat foil with cooking spray.
2. Spread bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips evenly on foil. Place in oven for 5 minutes or until almost melted. Remove from oven, smooth over foil with a rubber spatula. Start about 1-inch from the edges. Place pan in the refrigerator until cold and firm, about 20 minutes.
3. Melt the bag of bittersweet chocolate chips in a double boiler or in a metal bowl or pot over simmering water (don’t let bottom of bowl touch the boiling water) until chocolate is almost melted. Remove bowl from water and stir until completely melted. Stir in extract.
4. Let cool a bit so it doesn’t melt the cooled layer of chocolate. Pour melted chocolate and working quickly, spread to cover the first layer.
5. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes and press well into the chocolate to secure them.
6. Chill until both layers are firm and cold. Lift the foil out of the pan. Break into serving pieces.
7. Store in an air-tight container.
Makes about 40 pieces
Dark chocolate is good for your heart! Eating a small amount can help lower blood pressure and help reduced the LDL cholesterol (the bad cholesterol). This great news does not apply for milk or white chocolate.
The key flavor in traditional candy canes is peppermint. It can calm a queasy stomach, help to clear nasal congestion, and even kill germs.
I found my tin at Michael’s craft store. One recipe of peppermint bark will fill two (7-inch) tins.
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 3
|SKINNY FACTS: for (approx) 1 piece
93 cal, 6g fat, 1g protein, 12g carbs, 1g fiber, 1mg sodium, 10g sugar