It’s the most popular dish at Panda and the most fattening. This skinny remake is amazingly delicious! I actually like my remake better since it’s much lighter, includes many vegetables, and still has a lovely orange flavor. Best part…no guilt when you eat it! I did start with a bottle of their delicious orange chicken sauce but added some fresh orange juice to cut the calories. In addition, I’m cooking the chicken in a pan lightly coated with flour and cooked in a tiny amount of oil, instead of deep-frying. This fabulous remake is served over healthy brown rice! One skinny serving, including brown rice. 390 calories, 4 grams of fat, and 10 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints and 12 Green. Cut the points to 6 Blue and 8 Green by serving over steamed cabbage or veggies instead of brown rice. I can’t wait to hear what you think about this dish!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes, includes cooking brown rice
Ingredients for Orange chicken:
¾ cup raw brown Basmati rice or regular brown rice. (you’ll need 2 cups cooked rice)
1½ cups water
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 egg white
¼ teaspoon salt
Black pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons oil, divided
⅓ cup flour
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
2 cups cabbage, shredded
1 cup scallions, chopped
1 cup Chinese pea pods, sliced
½ cup carrots diced
Ingredients for Sauce:
½ cup Panda Express Orange Sauce, see shopping tips
¼ cup orange juice
1 tablespoon water
⅛ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1. To cook rice: Add ¾ cup brown Basmati rice and 1½ cups cold water to a medium-sized pot. Bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low, cover, and simmer for about 40 minutes until water is absorbed and rice is cooked. If using another type of rice, cook according to package directions.
2. In the meantime, prep all vegetables and make the sauce. Set aside.
3. To cook orange chicken: Place chicken pieces in bowl. In another small bowl, mix together egg white, salt, and pepper. In another small shallow bowl, add flour.
4. Dip all chicken pieces into egg mixture and lightly coat with flour. Add to a plate.
5. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Heat 1 teaspoon of oil. Add chicken pieces and cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Coat chicken with cooking spray and using a fork, turn over. Cook an additional 3-4 minutes until golden brown and cooked through. Remove chicken to a clean plate.
6. Coat same pan again with cooking spray and heat another 1 teaspoon oil. Add garlic and veggies and stir fry about 2 minutes, until softened. Add back chicken and pour in sauce. Heat over medium heat for a few minutes until chicken is hot. Stir often.
7. Serve over ½ cup rice, if desired
Makes 4 servings. Each serving, ½ cup rice, and 1 cup orange chicken
Orange Chicken is the most beloved dish at Panda Express but probably one of the least healthy entrees on their menu. The dish features battered boneless chicken pieces stir-fried in a wok with a sweet and tart orange sauce.
Happily Panda Express does have several healthier choices. Look for the dishes that say WOK SMART. All these entrees are 250 calories or less per single serving.
Most supermarkets sell bottled Panda Express Orange Sauce. You’ll find it in the Asian section or international section. In addition, you can buy the bottled sauce right at Panda Express!
Skinny Facts: for 1 cup serving without brown rice
270 calories, 3g fat, 1g sat. fat, 55mg chol, 27g protein, 34g carbs, 3g fiber, 339mg sodium, 21g sugar
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 6–Blue (without brown rice)
WW SmartPoints 8-Green (without brown rice)
WW POINTS PLUS 7 (without brown rice)
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 10-Blue (with brown rice)
WW SmartPoints 12-Green (with brown rice)
WW POINTS PLUS 10 (with brown rice)
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 cup serving with ½ cup brown rice
390 calories, 4g fat, 1g sat. fat, 55mg chol, 29g protein, 61g carbs, 4g fiber, 339mg sodium, 21g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
255 calories, 0g sat fat, 18g sugar, 3g protein