It’s no wonder mashed potatoes are such a popular comfort food. With gobs of butter and cream added, they posses such a creamy, rich flavor. It was essential to create a mash potato that could stand up to the best of them. With so few ingredients to work with, it was important that it tasted rich and velvety. I used reduced-fat milk to replace the cream and a reduced-fat butter. Mission accomplished! The skinny for 1 serving, 123 calories, 3 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1½ lbs. red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into even sized large chunks
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light (gluten free)
¾ to 1 cup reduced-fat (2%) milk
¼ cup fresh chives, chopped fine
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer until fork tender (approximately 15-20 minutes).
2. Drain potatoes into a colander and place drained potatoes back in the saucepan.
3. Add reduced-fat butter, milk, chives, salt and pepper to the hot potatoes.
4. Turn the flame to medium and smash potatoes with a fork and cut with a knife until blended and all the ingredients are heated.
5. To serve, spoon out ½ cup serving.
6. This recipe can be doubled, tripled and so on.
Makes 6 servings (each serving, ½ cup)
Red potatoes, (new potatoes) are commonly referred to as boiling potatoes. They have a waxy flesh that contains less starch and more moisture than the Russet potato (brown baking potato). This makes them perfect for mashed potatoes.
Over the years, potatoes have gotten a bad rap. They really shouldn’t because a medium size spud has only 110 calories and are naturally fat free. They’re high in vitamin C and have more potassium than a banana. They also contain fiber and iron.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 4
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 4
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 3
|SKINNY FACTS: for ½ cup serving
123 calories, 3g fat, 1g sat. fat, 3g chol, 22g carb, 4g protein, 2g fiber, 248mg sodium, 1g sugar.