Here’s an easy, dreamy, super delicious, potato recipe. Even better since you can enjoy every bite without the guilt-free. Using ingredients such as reduced-fat butter, fat-free sour cream, and buttermilk, has cut the calories and fat way down from this normally fattening classic. Each serving has 89 calories, 2 grams of fat, and 3 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 3 Green.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
1½ pounds red potatoes washed and chopped into chunks (leave skins on)
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light (gluten-free)
¼ cup fat-free sour cream
⅔ cup buttermilk
½ teaspoon salt
Black pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons chives, chopped
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until fork tender (approximately 15-20 minutes).
2. Drain potatoes into a colander and place drained potatoes back in saucepan.
3. To hot potatoes, add reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance, sour cream, and mash potatoes with a fork. Once butter is melted, add buttermilk, 1 tablespoon chives, salt, and pepper. Turn the flame to medium and continue to stir and mash potatoes. Heat until all ingredients are hot. Add more salt and pepper, if desired.
4. Spoon into serving bowl and top with 1 tablespoon chives.
5. This recipe can be doubled, tripled, and so on.
Serves 8 (makes 4 cups total). Each serving, ½ cup
Red potatoes, (new potatoes) are commonly referred to as boiling potatoes. They have waxy flesh that contains less starch and more moisture than the Russet potato (brown baking potato). This makes them perfect for mashed potatoes.
Over the years, potatoes have gotten a bad rap. They really shouldn’t because a medium-size spud has only 110 calories and are naturally fat-free. They are high in vitamin C and have more potassium than a banana. They also contain fiber and iron.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 3-Blue
WW SmartPoints 3-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 3
|SKINNY FACTS: for ½ cup serving
89 calories, 2g fat, 1g sat.fat, 5g chol, 3g prot, 17g carbs, 1g fiber, 195mg sod, 2g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
88 calories, 1g sat. fat, 2g sugar, 3g protein