There is something so comforting about a bowl of hearty Brunswick stew. It’s a traditional Southern favorite! Here’s a really yummy, skinny version. Normally made with a variety of meats such as chicken, pork and beef, I’m just using 99% fat-free ground turkey and adding a pot load of vegetables. Each main course serving has 323 calories, 2 grams of fat and 8 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. Get ready to receive rave reviews…It’s that good!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours on low, 4 hours on high
1¼ pound package 99% fat-free ground turkey breast
2 (14.5 ounce) cans tomatoes with liquid, chopped
1¼ cups barbecue sauce, I like Sweet Baby Rays or Bullseye
1 cup onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
Black pepper to taste
3 cups frozen mixed veggies, defrosted
1(14.75 ounce) can cream style corn
¼ teaspoon Tabasco sauce or to taste, optional
1. In a large nonstick pan, brown the ground turkey. Break up the turkey into small pieces while browning.
2. Pour turkey into a crock pot. Add tomatoes, barbecue sauce, onions, celery, bell peppers, and black pepper to taste. Mix together well.
3. Cover and cook on low 7 hours or on high 3 hours.
4. Stir in the defrosted vegetables and cream style corn into the stew mixture. Add a little hot sauce, if desired. Cover and continue cooking 1 hour on low or high.
5. Leftovers freeze great too!
Makes 10 cups total (each serving about 1⅓ cups)
There is no known origin for Brunswick stew. As there is no “official” recipe for Brunswick stew, it is possible to find chicken, pork, beef, and other types of meat included in the same recipe along with onions, tomatoes and even barbecue sauce plus vegetables.
So popular in the South, the Virginia version tends to favor chicken as the primary meat, along with rabbit. The Georgia version tends to favor pork and beef.
Frozen vegetables are just as healthy as fresh. Vegetables chosen for freezing tend to be processed at their peak ripeness, a time when—as a general rule—they are most nutrient-packed. I always have a bag in my freezer to add to soups, chili and stews.
Weight Watchers (old points) 6
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: 1⅓ cup serving
323 calories, 2g fat, 0g chol, 25g protein, 53g carbs, 5g fiber 1,153mg sodium, 30g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1⅓ cup serving made with full fat ground beef and turkey
419 calories, 15g fat, 63g chol, 19g protein, 53g carbs, 5g fiber, 1,172mg sodium, 30g sugar