These delectable bundles taste like restaurant quality chimichangas! Chimichanga’s are traditionally deep fried and include lots of cheese. My recipe is a healthier way to enjoy them since they’re baked not fried! Each skinny chimichangas has 286 calories, 13 grams of fat and 7 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints and 8 Green.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for Chimichangas:
¾ cup onions
1 cup cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
¾ cup salsa, I used Pace chunky salsa (mild spice)
¾ cup light Mexican blend cheese or cheddar cheese, shredded
⅓ cup corn, fresh or frozen (thawed if frozen)
2 tablespoons skinny ranch dressing, fat-free sour cream or fat-free Greek plain yogurt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
4 Mission 100% whole wheat flour tortillas, see shopping tips
Cooking spray, I used olive oil spray
Ingredients for Toppings:
3 tablespoons skinny ranch dressing, fat-free sour cream or fat-free Greek plain yogurt
Chopped or shredded lettuce
¼ cup reduced-fat cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a baking pan with cooking spray.
2. Add onions to a small, microwave-safe dish. Cook onions for 1 minute, to soften.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together cooked onions, chicken, salsa, cheese, corn, ranch or sour cream, and cumin.
4. Heat each tortilla in microwave for 10 seconds to soften. Heat 1 at a time. Once heated, place a little over ½ cup of chicken mixture in center of each tortilla and spread out a bit. Wrap like a burrito, folding opposite sides (ends) to close. Repeat for each by first heating tortilla in microwave, then adding filling and folding up.
5. Place each, seam-side down on a baking pan. Spray top of each with cooking spray. Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove each from baking pan using a spatula.
6. To Garnish: Top each chimichangas with ½ tablespoon skinny ranch dressing or sour cream, a little
shredded lettuce, salsa, chopped tomatoes and 1 tablespoon cheese.
Makes 4 servings
A chimichangas is typically prepared by filling a flour tortilla with a wide range of ingredients, most commonly rice, cheese, machaca (dried meat), carne adobada (marinated meat), or shredded chicken, and folding it into a rectangular package. It is then deep-fried and can be accompanied with salsa, guacamole, sour cream, and/or cheese.
I used Mission 100% whole wheat flour tortillas. Each has 130 calories, 3g fat, 1g sat. fat, 0mg chol, 290mg sod, 22g carbs, 2g sugar, 4g prot. and 3g fiber. I based the Skinny Facts and POINTS using this type of tortilla.
You could also use La Tortilla Factory’s 100 calorie whole wheat tortillas. They are 100% whole wheat and 98% fat-free. Each has 100 calories, 1.5g fat, 0g sat. fat, 0mg chol, 5g protein, 24g carbs, 6g fiber, 320mg sodium, 3g sugar
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 7-Blue
WW SmartPoints 8-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 9
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 chimichangas (includes toppings)
286 calories, 13g fat, 4g sat. fat, 41mg chol, 25g prot, 35g carbs, 10g fiber, 986mg sod, 8g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
217 calories, 4g sat. fat, 17g protein, 4g sugar