I adore a yummy burger from time to time. Especially when it’s made from lean ground beef. What makes these burgers so good are the ingredients added to the meat and that they’re topped with caramelized onions. And a burger doesn’t always need a bun. Each burger, including the onions has 147 calories, 6 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. If you’re cooking for 1 or 2 people, the leftover burgers freeze great.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Grill Time: 10 minutes
Panini Maker Time: 4 minutes (see prep tips below)
Ingredients for Burgers:
2-3 large onions, cut into slices (6-7 cups slices)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 pound extra lean ground beef, I used Trader Joe’s extra lean ground beef (96/4)
1 egg white
1 cup onions, grated or minced fine
3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning salt
½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
5 large tomato slices
5 large lettuce leaves
Ingredients for Condiments: optional
1. To make caramelized onions: Place sliced onions in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook for about 8 minutes in microwave until onions are very soft. In a large nonstick pan, add olive oil and heat. Add cooked onions and 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce. Sauté on medium-high heat until onions are browned, about 8 minutes. Stir often. Keep warm or reheat before serving.
2. Lightly oil grill and heat grill to medium.
3. In a large bowl, add ground beef, egg white, grated onions, 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce, seasoning salt and pepper. Using your hands or a fork, gently mix together. Handle meat as little as possible–the more you work it, the tougher it gets.
4. Shape meat into 5 patties. Place burgers on grill, close lid and cook until NO LONGER PINK INSIDE, turning once, about 5 minutes per side. If using an instant read thermometer, it should read 160F. Try not to abuse your burgers by pressing with a spatula, pricking with a fork or turning frequently as precious juices will be lost!
5. Line each plate with a large lettuce leaf. Top with a burger. Top each with tomato slices and caramelized onions. Let everyone dress their own. Serve with condiments such as, thousand island dressing, ketchup and mustard.
Makes 5 burgers
These burgers can also be made using a Panini grill or George Foreman grill. It only takes 4-5 minutes total because both sides of the burger are cooked at once. Or, prepare in a nonstick pan. Cook patties on each side about 4-5 minutes.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 4
Weight Watchers PointsPlus 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 burger including caramelized onions
217 calories, 6g fat, 2g sat, fat, 48mg chol, 20g prot, 19g carbs, 3g fiber, 382mg sod, 11g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
147 calories, 2g sat. fat, 18g prot, 3g sugar