Most of us are very familiar with broccoli but how about broccolini? It’s similar to broccoli but more tender and milder in flavor. Nicknamed baby broccoli, broccolini is a hybrid vegetable and a cross between broccoli and Chinese kale. It has small florets and long, thin stalks. Each serving has 78 calories, 5 grams of fat and 2 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 2 Green. This vitamin and fiber-packed vegetable is one you’re sure to love. I’ve topped it with a skinny balsamic vinaigrette to add some pizzaz!
Prep Time: 8 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
4 bunches (~1½ pounds) broccolini
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1½ tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon sugar or honey
½ fresh lemon
½ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper
1. In a large pot, bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
2. In the meantime, remove the bottom third of the broccolini stems and discard.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together, the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, garlic, and sugar. Set aside.
4. When the water comes to a full boil, drop in the broccolini. Return to a boil, cover, and cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes until the stalks are tender. Drain well and place in a serving dish.
5. Drizzle dressing over the broccolini and toss to coat. Squeeze lemon juice over the broccolini and sprinkle with a little salt and fresh pepper.
6. Serve warm
Makes 6 servings (each serving, about 4 ounces)
In 1998 broccolini was introduced in the U.S. It’s now grown year-round in California and Arizona. Like broccoli, broccolini can be steamed, boiled, sauteed, or roasted.
Broccolini is an excellent source of vitamins A and C. It also provides a substantial amount of folate, fiber, and potassium, as well as some iron, calcium, and vitamin B.
Choose crisp, bright green stalks with tightly closed buds.
Refrigerate broccolini in a plastic bag for up to 10 days. Don’t wash until ready to use.
Can’t find broccolini? You can use broccoli or asparagus instead.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints-Blue
WW SmartPoints 2-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 2
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (each serving, about 4 ounces)
78 calories, 5g fat, 1g sat. fat, 0mg chol, 3g protein, 5g carbs, 5g fiber, 240mg sodium, 0g sugar