Here I’ve paired flavorful roast beef with lite Jarlsberg cheese, smoky roasted red peppers and peppery arugula to create this truly gourmet grilled sandwich. To make it even tastier I’m spreading the dark rye bread with a slightly spicy ranch dressing. Don’t worry if you don’t have a fancy Panini grill or sandwich maker. All you’ll really need to make this wonderful restaurant quality grilled sandwich is a nonstick pan. The skinny for 1 grilled sandwich, 388 calories, 12 grams of fat and 10 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. If you’re following Weight Watchers, ½ sandwich will be very satisfying and will then have 5 POINTS! This yummy sandwich is so hearty, it’s filling enough for dinner!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 6 minutes
¼ cup Nancy’s Skinny Ranch Dressing or light mayonnaise such as Best Foods (Hellman’s) Light
1 teaspoon hot sauce or to taste
8 slices Orowheat Dark Rye bread, see shopping tip
8 teaspoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
4 slices Lite Jarlsberg cheese
8 ounces thinly sliced roast beef, see shopping tip
1 (12 oz) jar roasted red peppers, rinsed, drained and pat dry (2 whole peppers, cut in half) see shopping tip
1½ cups arugula
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the ranch dressing and hot sauce.
3. Spread 8 slices of bread each with 1 teaspoon of reduced-fat butter. Flip bread over and spread inside of each slice with ½ tablespoon of ranch spread.
4. On 4 slices of bread, on the ranch spread, divide and place roast beef, red peppers and arugula on each. Top each with 1 slice of cheese. Place remaining bread slices on top.
5. Heat a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Place 2 sandwiches in pan, cover and cook until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Turn over and cook covered for about 2 more minutes, until cheese is melted. Turn over and cook for 30 seconds more. Transfer to a baking pan and place in the oven to keep warm. Cook remaining sandwiches. If using a Panini or sandwich maker, both sides are cooked at once so it takes about 4 minutes total.
Makes 4 sandwiches
Arugula is an aromatic salad green with a peppery mustard flavor.
Trader Joe’s sells packages of roast beef, uncured, without nitrates. They are available in 8 oz packages. Or, have the deli section of the supermarket thinly slice 8 ounces of roast beef.
You’ll find roasted red peppers in most supermarkets. Trader Joe’s sells a 12 oz jar.
The brand of bread I used is Oroweat Dark Rye. It’s only 70 calories a slice.
Arugula is available in bags in most supermarkets and at Trader Joe’s.
Weight Watchers (old points) 8
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 10
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 sandwich
388 calories, 12g fat, 33g protein, 37g carbs, 4g fiber, 1050mg sodium, 1g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 Roast Beef Panini at Great Harvest Bread Company
590 calories, 39g fat, 25g protein, 36g carbs, 4g fiber, 1120mg sodium, 11g sugar,