Calling all pizza fans and I’m pretty sure that’s most of us! This meatloaf is packed with the yummy flavors of a slice of pizza and smothered with them on top. Each dreamy 2 slice serving has 225 calories, 6 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. I can’t wait for you to try it!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 55 minutes
Ingredients for Meatloaf:
1 slice multigrain bread or whole wheat bread, toasted
1 pound (96%) extra lean ground beef, see shopping tip
1 (14oz) jar Ragu Pizza Sauce, Prego’s, Classico’s or your favorite (divided)
1 cup onions, diced
1 cup zucchini, shredded
⅔ cup fat-free ricotta cheese, I used Trader Joe’s brand or your favorite
2 egg whites
½ teaspoon Italian seasonings
½ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Topping:
⅓ cup pizza sauce (from the jar above)
½ cup light mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and set aside.
2. To make bread crumbs: Toast bread. Break up bread and add to a blender or food processor. Process until the bread turns into crumbs. Measure ½ cup crumbs.
3. In a large bowl, add ground beef, bread crumbs, ⅔ cup pizza sauce, onions, zucchini, ricotta cheese, egg whites, Italian seasonings, garlic powder, salt and pepper, to taste. Using your hands, mix together all the ingredients. Blend well.
4. Place meat mixture on the baking sheet and free form a loaf by hand. It should be about 12”x 4″
5. Spread ½ cup pizza sauce all over the top of the meatloaf and down the sides.
6. Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven and spread with remaining ⅓ cup pizza sauce on the top of the meatloaf. Sprinkle the top with shredded cheese. Place back in oven for 10 minutes.
Makes 10 slices (each serving, 2 slices)
Most supermarkets sell extra lean ground beef. I used the 96% Trader Joe’s.
Milton’s multigrain bread is my favorite and I used it to make the bread crumbs.
You’ll save calories and fat by free forming the meatloaf. If you prepare it the way your Grandma did, in a loaf pan, the fat soaks into the loaf. With this new way, all the excess fat is left on the pan not in the loaf and then in your stomach.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 6
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6
Weight Watchers (old points) 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for 2 slices
225 calories, 6g fat, 2.6g sat. fat, 62mg chol, 28g protein, 17g carbs, 3g fiber, 588mg sod, 8g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for Stouffers Meatloaf Homestyle
390 calories, 21g fat, 22g protein, 8g carbs, 3g fiber, 840mg sodium, 4g sugar