I have one word to describe these delectable little treat, delicious!!! What a great treat, snack, breakfast or dessert. You’ll love how easy they are to make. The only hard part is limiting yourself to eating just a few! Each has 90 calories, 1 gram of fat and 2 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 12 minutes
Ingredients for Cinnamon Rolls:
1 package (13.8 ounces) Pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough, see shopping tip
1½ tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light, melted
4 tablespoons sugar
2½ teaspoons cinnamon
Ingredients for Glaze:
⅓ cup plus 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
1½ to 2 teaspoons nonfat milk
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or coat with cooking spray.
2. Open the can of pizza dough and stretch out flat onto lined baking sheet. With a pastry brush, spread ½ of the butter (¾ tablespoon) all over dough. If you don’t have a brush, drizzle ¾ tablespoon all over dough and spread with a dull knife or back of spoon.
3. Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, until well blended. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of this mixture over the top of pizza dough, covering the butter. Starting at the shorter side, roll up the pizza dough so that the sugar mixture side is now inside the rolled dough. Spread remaining butter over the top and sides of the rolled dough. In addition, sprinkle with 1½ tablespoons cinnamon/sugar mixture all over the the top and sides of the dough.
4. With a sharp knife, cut the roll crosswise into 16 slices. To ensure even size slices, first cut the rolled dough in half. Next, cut each half in half. Cut each piece in half again. Finally, cut each half into half again. You should have 16 slices.
5. Place each piece on the baking sheet and leave room between each for spreading. You might need to re-roll each piece to tighten up the rolls and tuck in the end of each roll to it keep it together. Sprinkle the remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture over the top of each sliced cinnamon roll.
6. Bake in oven for about 12-13 minutes until completely baked. Remove from oven and let cool.
7. To make glaze: In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and enough milk for a thick glaze consistency. Drizzle a little glaze over the cooled rolls.
8. These will keep wrapped on the counter top for a few days. When ready to serve, heat for about 10 seconds in the microwave. They also freeze great.
Makes 16 mini cinnamon rolls
The first cinnamon roll was baked in Sweden, where Oct. 4 is known as National Cinnamon Bun Day. Cinnamon rolls are known in Sweden as “kanelbulle.” This word literally means cinnamon bun.
Cinnamon rolls are a popular breakfast food in the United States. Philadelphia-style cinnamon rolls date back to the 18th century. These contains honey, sugar, cinnamon and raisins. They are often associated with Philadelphia and a coffee shop counter lined with sticky buns is still common in this city.
Pillsbury refrigerated pizza dough can be found in most supermarkets in the refrigerated case where other types of packaged dough are sold.
Weight Watchers (old points) 2
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 2
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 mini cinnamon roll
90 calories, 1g fat, 2g protein, 18g carbs, 1g fiber, 185mg sodium, 7g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 Cinnabun Classic cinnamon roll
880 calories, 36g fat, 127g carbs, 13g protein, 2g fiber, 830mg sodium, 59g sugar