My husband and I love this main course casserole so much, we ended up eating it 3 days in a row! I hope you get a chance to try it. Each serving has 323 calories, 8 grams of fat and 11 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. It’s a real cinch to make, freezes great and only needs a side salad to serve with it! Easy, right and did I mention that it’s absolutely DELICIOUS?
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
1¼ cups onions, chopped
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
1 (14.5 oz) can cream-style corn
1¼ cups chicken breast, cooked and diced, see shopping tips
1 egg, I love Egg-Land’s Best eggs
1 tablespoon fat-free milk
¼ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon chili powder
1 (8.5 oz) box Jiffy’s Corn Muffin Mix, see shopping tips
½ cup salsa, I used Pace Medium Chunky Salsa or use your favorite
½ cup fat-free sour cream
¼ cup Light Mexican Blend Cheese or light cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9” baking pan with cooking spray.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, add onions and butter. Cook in microwave on high for about 4 minutes until soft. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, mix together the cream-style corn, chicken, egg, milk, chili powder and cumin. Blend well. Stir in cornbread mix and only stir until blended. The batter will be a bit bumpy. Spread cornbread batter into prepared pan.
4. Spoon cooked onions and liquid left in the bowl evenly over the top.
5. Using a rubber spatula, carefully spread the salsa evenly over the onions. It won’t completely cover the onions. Using the same rubber spatula, carefully spread sour cream evenly over the salsa. It also won’t completely cover the entire casserole.
6. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the sour cream.
7. Bake for 45 minutes so the entire casserole will be cooked through. It will look very golden brown.
8. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into 6 slices. This casserole may be made ahead of time, refrigerated and reheated. It also freezes great.
Makes 6 servings (each serving, 1 slice)
Most supermarkets sell Jiffy corn muffin mix in the baking aisle. If you can’t find it use another brand that is about 8.5 ounces.
Trader Joe’s sells packages of cooked, sliced or chopped, chicken breasts that are really tasty. If you buy a cooked chicken from the supermarket, be sure to remove the skin before chopping and adding to this dish.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 11
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 8
Weight Watchers (old points) 6
SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
|FAT FACTS: for 1 slice using full fat ingredients
476 calories, 24g fat, 20g protein, 43g carbs, 1050mg sodium, 14g sugar