All you garlic lovers will LOVE this chicken…An instant hit and will have everyone wanting more! As it bakes, the garlic and sugar melt into a sweet glaze. This dish can be prepped in the morning, refrigerated, and baked just before serving. Each very tender chicken breast has 208 calories, 5 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers FreeStyle SmartPoints. So yummy served with my recipe for Super Healthy, Garlic Sauteed Spinach or Skinny Garlic Green Beans. That’s truly all you’ll need!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 15-20 minutes
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh garlic cloves, chopped, see shopping tip
¼ cup brown sugar
½ tablespoon water
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (1 pound total, each breast 4 ounces), see prep tip
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Line a baking dish with aluminum foil and lightly coat with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In small nonstick pan, add oil and garlic. Sauté garlic until tender about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in brown sugar and water.
3. Place chicken breasts in the foiled lined baking dish. Cover with garlic and brown sugar mixture.
Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper, to taste. At this point, you can place in refrigerator and store until ready to bake. If you store in refrigerator, it might take a little longer for the baking time.
4. Bake, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes until chicken is completely cooked. Cooking time will depend on the size and thickness of the chicken. Be sure to check for doneness after 15 minutes.
5. To serve: Plate each breast and spoon a little sauce over each.
Makes 4 chicken breast (each serving, 4 ounces of chicken with sauce)
Studies suggest that regularly eating garlic helps lower blood pressure, controls blood sugar and blood cholesterol, and boosts the immune system. It has also been found to reduce the risk of esophageal, stomach, and colon cancer.
I love the convenience of using fresh peeled garlic cloves from a bag. The bag is resealable which keeps garlic fresh. I buy it at Trader Joe’s and most supermarkets sell it this way too.
Lately I’ve noticed how large many packaged chicken breasts are. Because of this be sure to cut them into 4 ounce breasts. Any leftover pieces can be frozen and used later to add to a stir fry dish or soup.
Weight Watchers FreeStyle SmartPoints 5
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 7
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 breast with garlic sauce
208 calories, 5g fat, 1.5 sat. fat, 55mg chol, 26g protein, 20g carbs, 0g fiber, 227mg sodium, 18g sugar
|FACTS: for FreeStyle SmartPoints
88 calories, 1g sat. fat, 0g protein, 13g sugar