Most of us love fried chicken. But, did you know a KFC’s extra crispy chicken breast has 470 calories and 28 grams of fat? Don’t fret. My skinny fried chicken is a mere 304 calories, 6 grams of fat and 8 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. It’s juicy, tender, crunchy and fantastic. Next time you’re inclined to stop by your favorite fast food chicken joint for a bucket, don’t! This skinny recipe is super simple to make. Enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 minutes (chicken needs to be refrigerated for 1 hour before cooking)
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1-lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (4 breasts, 4 ounces each)
1 cup buttermilk
1½ cups cornflake crumbs, see shopping tip
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
1. Rinse and pat dry chicken breasts. Cut each breast into 3 or 4 pieces so they’re not too thick.
2. In a bowl, add the cut chicken pieces and cover with buttermilk.
3. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
4. In a shallow baking dish or large plate, add cornflake crumbs, salt and pepper. Blend well.
5. In a large nonstick pan, melt 1½ tablespoons reduced-fat butter over medium heat.
6. Remove the chicken from the fridge and dredge in cornflake crumbs. Coat evenly.
7. Add half the chicken pieces to the heated pan and cook until golden brown, turning once, approx. 3 minutes on each side. You’ll have to do this in two batches. For the second batch, add the remaining 1½ tablespoons reduced-fat butter to pan and melt first before adding the chicken. Repeat the cooking time.
Serves 4 (each serving, 3-4 pieces-4 oz total)
Serve this chicken with my recipe for Skinny Mash Potatoes or Incredible, Skinny Roasted Garlic Mashers and Simply Crunchy Slaw. Reheat leftovers in a toaster oven or regular oven to re-crisp the chicken.
You’ll find cornflake crumbs in a box in the baking section of most supermarkets. You can make you’re own crumbs by crushing cornflake cereal in a blender or food processor.
Weight Watchers (old points) 6
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 breast (3-4 pieces, 4 oz total)
304 calories, 6g fat, 31g carb, 30g protein,1g fiber, 607mg sodium, 5g sugar.
|FAT FACTS: for 1 KFC’S CRISPY FRIED CHICKEN breast
470 calories, 28g fat, 25g carb, 31g protein, 1g fiber, 930mg sodium, 5g sugar