Get ready to fill your freezer with these festive looking treats. I know this is not the typical dessert during the holidays but they will be a real hit! With just 3 ingredients, they’re super simple to make. These sweet frozen bites look adorable and make the perfect after dinner dessert following a big Christmas dinner. Kids and “big kids” will be smiling from ear to ear while eating them. The skinny for 1 frozen bite, 98 calories, 2.6 grams of fat and 3 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. Just one of these skinny bites is very satisfying! Hurry and grab one yourself as they won’t last long…
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Freezer Time: 2 hours to firm
1 (9 oz) box Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers
1 container Breyers Vanilla Bean light ice cream (1/2 fat) or any reduced-fat vanilla ice cream
½ cup crushed red-and-white-striped candy canes
1. Soften the ice cream slightly, if necessary, until it’s easy to scoop.
2. Top one wafer with about 2 tablespoons of ice cream. Put another wafer on top (press down easy so you don’t crack the wafer) to spread out the ice cream. Spread the sides of the ice cream sandwich with a knife.
3. Place a little of the crushed candy canes around the ice cream bite. Place in the freezer.
4. Continue making as many bites as desired and place in the freezer.
5. Freeze for at least two hours to firm. When firm, wrap each in plastic wrap and store in the freezer.
6. Peppermint Ice Cream Bites can be made several days in advance.
Makes 20 bites
It’s believed the ice cream sandwich was invented in New York City in the 1900’s. There was a man who had a cart in the Lower East Side. He made his ice cream sandwiches quickly with a tin mold. He sold them for 1 cent!
You can find Nabisco Chocolate Wafers in most supermarkets. They always seem to be displayed in an odd place. Sometimes they’re on display with the ice cream toppings. Just ask!
You can make these year round and vary the ice cream flavors. In addition, you can decorate them with mini chocolate chips, jimmies or chopped nuts. They even taste great plain, without decorating.
Weight Watchers (old points) 2
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 3
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 ice cream sandwich
98 cal, 2.6g fat, 2g protein,17g carbs, 0g fiber, 100mg sodium, 11g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 Good Humor ice cream sandwich
160 cal, 6g fat, 2g protein, 25g carbs, 0g fiber, 140mg sodium, 13g sugar