Rustic and del-icious describes this fabulous French toast sandwich! I created this new twist on French toast by stuffing it with two different reduced-fat cheeses, sliced apples and topping with a cinnamon/sugar mixture. One entire sandwich has 378 calories and 10 grams of fat. So satisfying, you can easily share one. I’ve compared this skinny one to Cook’s Illustrated stuffed French toast with 599 calories and 36 grams of fat. My recipe is loaded with flavor and is a very hearty breakfast treat. Perfect to make on the weekend or for a special occasion. The kids will especially love it!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ingredients for French Toast:
4 slices cinnamon raisin bread, I used Sun-maid’s
4 teaspoons reduced-sugar preserves or jam (use your favorite flavor)
1 tablespoon reduced-fat cream cheese
2 slices reduced-fat Jarlsberg cheese or Swiss cheese or your favorite
1 green apple, unpeeled, cored and sliced
3 egg whites
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons reduced-fat butter
Ingredients for Topping:
2 teaspoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
2 teaspoon sugar plus ½ teaspoon cinnamon, blended together.
1. Spread one side of each slice of bread with a teaspoon of jam.
2. On top of two slices of bread, on the jam side, spread each with ½ tablespoon of cream cheese. Top each with one slice of cheese and some apple slices. Place remaining 2 slices, jam side inside, on top of each sandwich.
3. In a bowl, add the egg white and vanilla. Whip together with a fork. Dip both sandwiches in the egg whites, coating both sides.
4. Spray a medium nonstick pan or skillet with cooking spray. Melt 2 teaspoons of reduced-fat butter in the pan and swirl around the bottom of the pan. Add the dipped sandwiches to the pan. Grill for about 2 -3 minutes until golden brown, turn-over and cook the underside until golden brown and thoroughly cooked.
5. Remove cooked sandwiches from pan and place on small plates. Spread the top of each sandwich with 1 teaspoon of reduced-fat butter or spread. Sprinkle each top with a little cinnamon and sugar mixture.
6. Cut each sandwich in half and serve with a fork and knife and any extra apple slices on the side.
Makes 2 servings
Cutting Calories Tip
One whole serving is pretty large and very filling. Sharing one cuts the calories, fat and Weight Watchers points down to, 189 calories, 5 grams of fat, and 5 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
This recipe can be doubled, tripled and so on. To keep multiple sandwiches warm while cooking all of them, place the cooked ones in a preheated 300 degree oven to keep warmed. Don’t top these with the butter and cinnamon/sugar mixture until ready to serve all of them. Add more reduced-fat butter to the pan before cooking additional sandwiches.
I used the reduced-sugar preserves from Trader Joe’s. In addition, I like Knotts reduced-sugar preserves. Knotts is sold in most large supermarkets.
Weight Watchers (old points) 8
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 10
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 large sandwich
378 calories, 10g fat, 19g protein, 2g fiber, 50g carbs, 538mg sodium, 24g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 serving of Cook’s Illustrated Stuffed French Toast
599 calories, 36g fat, 13g protein, 54g carbs, 698mg sodium, 2g fiber, 18g sugar