I’ve tasted many cornbread casseroles in my day and this one wins hands down…Super rich and loaded with flavor. Delicious served as a side dish for chicken, beef or ham. And terrific with hamburger patties, meatloaf or chili too. The original full fat recipe has ingredients such as sour cream, butter and 2 entire cups of cheese. This skinny makeover uses similar ingredients but reduced or fat-free versions. I found that using only ½ cup of reduced-fat cheddar cheese provides plenty of flavor. Each skinny slice has 205 calories, 5 grams of fat and 7 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 40 minutes
2 large onions, chopped (about 3½ cups)
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
4 egg whites
1 egg, I love Eggland’s Best eggs
2 tablespoons fat-free or reduced-fat milk
1 (1-LB) package Marie Callender’s Original Corn Bread Mix
2 (14.5 oz) cans cream-style corn
1 cup fat-free sour cream (½ pint)
½ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a 13”x9” baking dish with nonstick spray.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, add the onions and butter. Cook in the microwave on high for about 4 minutes until soft. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, mix together the egg whites, egg and milk. Stir in the cornbread mix and cream-style corn. Spread cornbread batter into the prepared dish.
4. Spoon the cooked onions and liquid left in the bowl evenly over the top.
5. Using a rubber spatula carefully spread the sour cream over the onions. It’s not necessary to completely cover the onions. The sour cream will create little pillows.
6. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the sour cream.
7. Bake for about 40-45 minutes until golden brown.
9. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting into 16 squares. This casserole may be made ahead of time, refrigerated and reheated. It also freezes great.
Makes 16 servings (each serving, 1 slice)
The origin of cornbread is as old as corn itself. In America, we’ve known about and eaten cornbread since arrival of the Europeans. The native Americans leaned early on how to dry and grind corn into meal, which is the main ingredient in cornbread.
This casserole makes a wonderful side dish to serve with any barbecue. It’s also yummy served with meatloaf, ham, turkey, chicken, beef, pork or even a bowl of chili. I really love serving it as a side dish for my recipe for, Skinny Steak Fajitas.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 7
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 7
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice
205 calories, 5g fat, 1g sat. fat, 13g chol, 7g protein, 32g carbs, 3g fiber, 447mg sodium, 13g sugar