Enjoy a skinny fiesta night with this easy, yummy casserole. You might have noticed that I love creating casseroles using corn bread or corn muffin mixes. They make all these casseroles foolproof. Here’s a skinny twist on a classic tamale pie and it has fantastic taco flavors. Each serving 322 calories, 8 grams of fat and 8 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints and 9 Green.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for Casserole:
1 pound extra lean ground beef or ground turkey, see shopping tips
1 (15 oz) can Mexican-style diced tomatoes
1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
½ cup reduced-fat cheese, divided
1 (8.5 oz) package Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
⅓ cup nonfat milk
Ingredients for Topping: Optional
Nonfat plain Greek yogurt or fat-free sour cream
Black olives, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9” pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large nonstick pan, brown the beef; drain off fat. Stir in undrained tomatoes and corn; heat completely. Transfer to the baking pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle with ¼ cup of cheese evenly over the top.
3. To make corn bread topping: In a medium bowl, combine corn muffin mix, egg and milk. Mix just until combined but do not over mix. Some lumps are okay. Using a rubber spatula, evenly spread over beef mixture. Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup cheese evenly over the top.
3. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes or until topping is set. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing into 6 slices.
4. Optional: Top each slice with chopped tomatoes, a dollop of yogurt and a little olives, if desired.
5. This casserole freezes great!
Makes 6 servings. Each serving 1 slice
Traditional Tamale Pie is made with ground beef, onion, peppers, tomatoes, corn, olives, cheese and has a cornmeal and cheese topping or crust.
Happily most supermarkets sell lean ground beef. I used the 96% lean ground beef from Trader Joe’s.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 8-Blue
WW SmartPoints 9-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice (not including optional toppings)
322 calories, 8g fat, 3g sat. fat, 35mg chol, 22g protein, 40g carbs, 1g fiber, 571mg sod, 11g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
278 calories, 2g sat. fat, 19g protein, 8g sugar