Get ready to make an extremely delicious meatloaf! Very different from a traditional one…It has all the great flavors of Mexican food in one skinny loaf. It’s so low in calories and fat thanks to using extra lean ground beef and free-forming the loaf on a cookie sheet instead of baking in a loaf pan. The fat from the beef oozes out onto the pan instead of staying in the meatloaf. A generous 3 slice serving has 215 calories, 8 grams fat, and 3 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 5 Green.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 1 hour
1 pound extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey, see shopping tips
1 cup red or yellow onions, chopped
½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
½ cup corn (cut off the cob) or frozen and thawed
½ cup salsa plus ½ cup for topping, I love Pace Chunky Salsa (medium) or use your favorite
1 ounce (~⅓ cup) reduced-fat tortilla chips, crushed, see shopping tips
2 egg whites
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a cookie sheet or baking pan with foil.
3. In a large bowl, combine beef, onions, red bell pepper, corn, ½ cup salsa, crushed tortilla chips, egg whites, and a little pepper. Mix well until thoroughly combined.
4. Place meatloaf mixture in center of cookie sheet and shape by hand, into a 12 x 4 inch loaf.
5. Spread remaining ½ cup salsa evenly over the top of loaf. Add more, if desired.
6. Bake 1 hour and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Cut into 12 slices.
Serves 4 (each serving 3 slices)
Trader Joe’s extra lean ground beef is a terrific, healthy choice. It has 130 calories and 4 grams of fat for 4 ounces.
Free forming the loaf cuts the calories and fat down even further.
Salsa is actually a very healthy food. Thanks to the tomatoes, onions and chilies, it’s heart healthy and can help to prevent certain types of cancer. A ½-cup serving of salsa contains approximately 35 calories, 2 grams of fiber and 0 fat.
I used Trader Joe’s extra lean ground beef. Most supermarkets sell extra lean ground beef or use lean ground turkey, if desired.
I used Trader Joe’s organic reduced-fat tortilla chips. There are several brands of baked tortilla chips in the supermarkets such as Guiltless Gourmet or Baked Tositos Scoops.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 3-Blue
WW SmartPoints 5-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 3 slices (1 serving)
215 calories, 8g fat, 2g sat. fat, 60mg chol, 25g protein, 20g carbs, 4g fiber, 577mg sodium, 5g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
149 calories, 2g sat. fat, 22g protein, 0g sugar