This fantastic Mexican layered casserole is both hearty and healthy! It’s loaded with lean protein from the chicken, reduced-fat cottage cheese, and fat-free re-fried beans. It’s perfect for those sensitive to wheat since I’m using corn tortillas instead of lasagna noodles. Each serving has 209 calories, 6 grams of fat and 4 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 6 Green. Serve with a vegetable or simple salad and you’re good to go.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 45 minutes
1½ cup reduced-fat cottage cheese
1 cup cooked chicken breast, chopped
⅓ cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
¼ cup (½ can) Ortega diced green chilies
⅔ cup pasta or marinara sauce (from a jar) such as Classico or Prego
6 corn tortillas, cut each into four pieces
1 (8oz) can fat-free refried beans
⅔ cup salsa (I like Pace Medium Chunky Salsa)
¼ cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9” square pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine cottage cheese, chicken, corn, and green chilies.
3. Spread pasta sauce on bottom of pan.
4. Arrange 2 tortillas (8 pieces) on top of pasta sauce
5. Remove the beans from a can, place in a small bowl, and soften in the microwave for easy spreading. Spread the refried beans evenly on the tortillas.
6. Arrange 2 more tortillas (8 pieces) over beans.
7. Spread cheese mixture evenly over the tortillas.
8. Cover pan with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and place the last cut tortillas on top of casserole.
10. Spread the salsa evenly over tortillas. Sprinkle cheddar cheese evenly on top.
11. Cover casserole and bake 15 minutes longer. Cool slightly and cut into 6 slices.
Makes 6 servings (each serving, 1 slice)
Re-fried beans consist of cooked and mashed pinto or kidney beans that have been seasoned with garlic, salt, and pepper. Some refried beans are fried in lard but fat-free refried beans are not.
Fat-free refried beans are a fairly decent source of lean protein and carbohydrates. They’re high in fiber and folate.
Reduced-fat cottage cheese is low in fat, calories, and cholesterol. It’s a very good source of vitamins B12 and calcium.
This casserole will last for several days in the refrigerator and freezes great. Cut leftovers into single servings, wrap in plastic wrap, and place in a freezer bag. It will keep for several months in the freezer.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 4-Blue
WW SmartPoints 6-Green
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 slice (⅙ of recipe)
209 calories, 6g fat, 2g sat. fat, 26mg sod, 18g protein, 27g carbs, 5g fiber, 770mg sodium, 5g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
133 calories, 1g sat. fat, 10g protein, 3g sugar