These little potato gems are so delicious. Guaranteed you’ll love them! Terrific to make as a side dish to beef, chicken, pork or fish. In addition, you can serve them with scrambled eggs for breakfast. I like to keep some on hand in my freezer. Each skinny muffin has 79 calories, 3 grams of fat and 2 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 50 minutes
Ingredients for Muffins:
3 cups frozen hash brown potatoes, shredded and not defrosted, see shopping tips
½ cup onions, chopped
2 egg whites (¼ cup)
¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated, see shopping tips
2 tablespoons reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance light, melted
¾ teaspoon Lawry’s seasoning sat or salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
Black pepper, to taste
Ingredients for Topping:
6 teaspoons Parmesan cheese, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a muffin tin (regular size, 12 cup tin) with cooking spray. You’ll only use 6 of the cups.
2. In a large bowl, add frozen hash browns and break up the lumps. Add all remaining ingredients except the 6 teaspoons Parmesan cheese, for topping. Mix together well.
3. Divide and fill 6 muffin cups with potato batter. Top each with 1 teaspoon Parmesan cheese.
4. Bake for about 50 minutes until golden brown.
5. Let sit 5 minutes. Carefully remove each potato muffin from tin. Loosen around each with a spoon or knife first, then gently lift out.
6. These freeze great. This recipe can be easily doubled to make 12 muffins.
Makes 6 muffins (each serving, 1 muffin)
Frozen Hash Brown potatoes are sold in most supermarkets. They contain no fat, just shredded potatoes. I used Ore Ida’s frozen plain shredded hash browns.
One serving (1¼ cups) has 70 calories, 0g fat, 10g carbs, 1g protein, 0.6g fiber, 0g sugar, 12mg sodium
Grated Parmesan cheese is the finely grated cheese sold in containers or with shaker/pourer tops. It looks like cheese dust. That said, you can substitute either shredded or grated Parmesan in equal proportions in your favorite recipes.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 2
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 2
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 hash brown muffin
79 calories, 3g fat, 1.5g sat. fat, 4mg chol, 4g protein, 6g carbs, 1g fiber, 337mg sod, 0g sugar