This mashed potato recipe is the bomb…Amazingly delicious!!! Probably one of the best low calorie ones you’ll ever taste. Each side serving has 84 calories, 3 grams of fat and 3 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints and 3 Green. I love it so much, sometimes I serve it as the main course with a side salad. In that case make the serving size 1 cup.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1½ pounds baking potatoes, washed, peeled and chopped into chunks
6 slices bacon, see shopping tips
¾ cup Best Skinny Ranch Dressing or your favorite light ranch dressing
½ cup light cheddar cheese, shredded
1 tablespoon chives, chopped or scallions (green part only)
Fresh ground black pepper and salt, to taste
1. Add potatoes to a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook until soft (10-15 minutes). Do not overcook. Drain potatoes into a colander and place drained potatoes back in saucepan.
2. In the meantime, cook bacon: Line a plate with several paper towels. Place 6 bacon strips on paper. Cover with several paper towels. Cook in microwave for 4-5 minutes, until crispy. Add cooked bacon strips to clean paper towels and blot. Crumble bacon and set aside.
3. To hot cooked potatoes, add ranch dressing and smash potatoes with a fork. Mix well. Stir in crumbled bacon, cheese, chives and a little salt and black pepper, to taste. Turn flame to medium-low and continue to stir and mash potatoes. Heat until all ingredients are hot. Add more salt and pepper, if desired.
4. This recipe can be doubled, tripled or cut in half.
5. Store in refrigerator until ready to use. Will keep for a few days. When ready to eat, heat in microwave until warmed.
Makes 6 cups total (12-½ cup servings)
Potatoes are rich in complex carbohydrates that can supply energy. They’re low in calories and contain no fat. They contain more potassium than any other fresh vegetable, even more than bananas! Potatoes also contain vitamins C and B6.
I LOVE Applegate Farms Natural Sunday Bacon. Its low in fat and calories, uncured and contains no nitrites! Many supermarkets carry this brand. I bought it at Vons/Safeway and Whole Foods. Here’s the link to their website:http://www.applegate.com/products/natural-sunday-bacon
Before finding this healthier bacon, I had combed the supermarket shelves looking for one of the leanest regular bacon choices and Oscar Meyer Center Cut Bacon is my favorite, compared to most regular bacon. It’s much lower in fat and calories, 3 slices contain 70 calories and 4.5 grams of fat. Once cooked on paper towels, most of the fat soaks into the paper, not in the bacon, so the fat is further cut down. In my Skinny Facts, I subtracted out the fat that’s left on the paper towels!
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 3-Blue
WW SmartPoints 3-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 2
|SKINNY FACTS: for ½ cup serving
84 calories, 3g fat, 1g sat. fat, 4g protein, 11g carbs, 1g fiber, 220mg sodium, 1g sugar