If you’ve never made a turkey tenderloin, you’re in for a treat. It’s easy to prepare and very tender. This is not your typical boring and bland turkey recipe either. The balsamic reduction sauce is bursting with flavor. Grilled or baked this recipe taste wonderful. I’ve included the directions for both! Each 4 ounce serving, including this luxurious sauce has 257 calories, 1 gram of fat and 3 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Ingredients For The Balsamic Sauce:
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup onions, diced
1 cup balsamic vinegar
¾ cup ketchup
⅓ cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
A little salt and pepper, to taste
Ingredients For Turkey Tenderloins:
2 turkey tenderloins (about 1½ lb. total), patted dry
Instructions For Grilling:
1. Preheat one side of grill to medium-high, the other side to medium-low.
2. In a nonstick saucepan over medium heat, add olive oil. Saute onions in oil until soft, about 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire, Dijon and a little salt and pepper. Bring sauce to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until reduced to 1½ cups, about 10 minutes. Set aside 1 cup sauce for serving.
3. Brush turkey tenderloins with ¼ cup remaining sauce. Grill turkey covered, on medium-low side of grill, 4 minutes. Flip turkey, baste with 2 tablespoons sauce and grill 4 minutes. Baste again with 2 tablespoons sauce and transfer turkey to medium-high side. Cook basted turkey, until an instant read thermometer registers 165 degrees, about 4 minutes.
4. Remove turkey from grill and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
5. Drizzle the remaining sauce, that was set aside, over turkey slices and serve.
Instructions For Baking:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place turkey tenderloins in a 9 x 9 inch baking pan. Cut pieces, if too large. Reserve 1 cup sauce for serving. Spread ¼ cup over top of tenderloins and set aside ¼ cup for broiling.
2. Cover pan with foil and bake for 35-40 minutes.
3. Preheat broiler, cover cooked tenderloins with ¼ cup sauce and broil for about 3 minutes, until browned.
4. Remove turkey from oven and let rest for 5 minutes, before slicing.
5. Drizzle the 1 cup sauce that was set aside, over turkey slices and serve.
Makes 6 servings (~ 4 ounces turkey per serving)
Turkey tenderloins are the tender long strip of white meat hidden under the turkey breast. Because this strip of meat is an underused muscle of the turkey, it’s naturally very tender.
Turkey tenderloin is a healthy, low calorie and low fat protein when the skin is removed. It contains a good amount of niacin and vitamins B6 and B12.
Most supermarkets sell turkey tenderloin. If you can’t find it, ask the meat department to prepare it for you. I bought mine at Trader Joe’s.
You’ll love this turkey served with my recipe for Just Baked Sweet Potatoes and Simply Garlic Green Beans. Sometimes I like to serve it with just 2 vegetable dishes such as Simple and Roasted Asparagus and Simply Garlic Green Beans.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 3
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 3
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (~ 4 ounces turkey per serving)
257 calories, 1g fat, 0g sat. fat, 0mg chol, 29g protein, 34g carbs, 1g fiber, 517mg sodium, 25g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
97 calories, 0g sat. fat, 0g protein, 13g sugar