Here’s a really easy recipe that’s full of healthy ingredients and packed with flavor. Many of the ingredients you probably have on hand. Each serving has 246 calories, 8 grams of fat, and only 1 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints and 6 Green.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
4 cups yellow onions (~1½ large onions), peeled and sliced into rings
2 large bell peppers (~3 cups) sliced (about ¼ inch thick), I used 1 red and 1 yellow bell pepper
1 pound boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
Juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
A little salt and pepper
3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
¼ teaspoon dried basil
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. In a large microwave-safe bowl, add sliced onions and bell peppers. Cook on high in a microwave for about 5-8 minutes, until soft.
2. In the meantime, Add chicken pieces to a plate. Squeeze the juice of 1 lemon over chicken. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon minced rosemary and add a little salt and pepper.
3. Coat a large, nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and heat. Add chicken and juice from the lemon into the pan. Cook until no longer pink, about 5-6 minutes. Stir often. Remove chicken to a plate.
4. In the same pan, coat again with cooking spray. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add cooked onions and bell peppers, basil, and a little salt and pepper. Pour ¼ cup balsamic vinegar over the top. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized, about 10 minutes. If the pan gets too dry, add 1 more teaspoon of olive oil and 3 tablespoons of water. Stir in garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant and soft, 1 minute. Return chicken to pan. Add 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar and 1 tablespoon rosemary. Mix everything together. Continue to cook, stirring until warmed and well blended, about 2 minutes.
5. Arrange on a platter or plate each serving. Any leftovers will keep in the fridge a few days or freeze great!
Makes 4 main-course servings. 6 cups total. Each serving 1¼ cups.
Bell peppers are low in calories. One cup has 45 calories. These vibrant vegetables are a source of valuable nutrients, fiber, and antioxidants. One cup contains more than your daily quota of Vitamin A and C. The highest amount of Vitamin C in a bell pepper is concentrated in the red variety.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 1-Blue
WW SmartPoints 6-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (1¼ cups)
246 calories, 8g fat, 2g sat. fat, 55mg chol, 28g prot, 20g carbs, 3g fiber,186 mg sod, 9g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
40 calories, 1g sat. fat, 0g sugar, 0g protein