By now we all know that a bowl of oatmeal is a healthy way to start the day. But let’s face it… It gets a little boring sometimes, right? So, these delicious, skinny muffins are like a dream come true! They’re super simple to bake and filled with fiber rich oats, oats, and more oats, whole wheat flour and fresh bananas. Typical banana muffins are made with white flour, no oats, in fact, other than the bananas not much of anything that’s good for you… Dunkin Donuts Banana Nut Muffins have 530 calories and 23 grams of fat. This skinny muffin contain 378 calories and 11 grams of fat. Even your kids will want to start the day off right with one of these nutritious muffins.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
3 cups rolled oats
3 egg whites
2 eggs. I like using Egg-Land’s Best
2 cups mashed bananas, about 3 overripe bananas
¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
⅓ cup canola oil
1¾ cup golden brown sugar, packed
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup walnuts, chopped
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup rolled oats, for topping
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray. I recommend cooking spray with flour in it.
2. In a blender or food processor, add 2 cups of rolled oats and blend until it becomes an oat flour consistency.
3. Using an electric mixer, or in a large bowl using a hand mixer, add the oats flour, 1 cup of rolled oats, egg whites, eggs, mashed bananas, applesauce and oil. Mix until combined.
4. Add brown sugar, whole wheat flour, walnuts, vanilla, baking soda, and salt. Mix until blended. Do not over mix.
5. Fill batter into coated muffin pan. Fill each muffin cup to the top. Evenly sprinkle remaining ¾ cup rolled oats on top of the muffins.
6. Bake for about 30 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
7. Remove from oven, cool slightly and remove from pan.
Makes 12 good size muffins
Oats were originally used as animal fodder. Today they’re still used to feed horses but humans don’t usually consume them until they’ve been cleaned, toasted, hulled, and cleaned again. After that, they become oat grouts. Oat grouts can be cooked and served as cereal. They become rolled oats, as we know it, after they’ve been steamed and flattened with huge rollers. Oat flour is made from grouts that have been ground into powder. That’s what I’ve done in this recipe. I’ve made my own oat flour.
Bananas are grown in warm tropical climates. They’re picked and shipped while still green. They actually develop a better flavor when ripened off the bush.
Oats are high in vitamins B, E, and are a good source of zinc, selenium, copper, iron, and magnesium. They contain both soluble and insoluble fiber. The insoluble fiber may help to reduce the LDL bad cholesterol.
Bananas are rich in potassium and vitamin C. They’re high in carbohydrates and low in protein.
Walnuts are an excellent source of omega-3s. They contain the good for you monounsaturated fat. A host of studies have shown that increasing the dietary intake of monounsaturated-dense walnuts has favorable effects on high cholesterol levels and other cardiovascular risk factors.
Serve this muffin warmed and if desired, spread with a little reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light. If you are looking to make it more filling, spread with a little peanut butter and serve with a glass of skim milk. The kids will really like it this way.
These muffins will keep stored in plastic bags for several days. They also freeze great.
Weight Watchers (old points) 8
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 10
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 muffin
378 calories, 11g fat, 9g protein, 65g carbs, 5g fiber, 348mg sodium, 36g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for one Dunkin Donuts Banana Nut Muffin
530 calories, 23g fat, 10g protein, 72g carbs, 2g fiber, 540mg sodium, 37g sugar