Roast Beef and cheese is a classic paring but when topped with caramelized onions and grilled, it soars into extraordinary!!! I created this amazing sandwich originally for St. Patrick’s Day, that’s why I’m cooking the onions in Guinness (beer) but you’ll love it all year round. Each hearty sandwich has 394 calories, 10 grams of fat and 11 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints
and 11 Green. If you’re on WW, ½ sandwich will be very satisfying. It’s so filling and perfect for dinner. Serve with a side salad and that’s all you’ll need!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes including cooking onions
2 cups onions, sliced
½ cup Guinness (beer), see shopping tips
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon yellow, spicy brown or Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons reduced fat butter
4 slices rye bread, see shopping tips
2 slices, reduced-fat Swiss or Jarlsberg cheese, each cut in half, see shopping tips
4 ounces lean roast beef, sliced, see shopping tips
1. Using a microwave safe plate or bowl, add the onions and cook in microwave until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
2. Coat a large nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add onions, ½ cup Guinness beer, and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for about 15 minutes until the liquid has mostly evaporated. Stir often. Remove from heat and mix in mustard.
3. Spread the outside of each slice of bread with ½ teaspoon reduced-fat butter. Add ½ the roast beef (2 ounces) on the inside of one slice of bread. Do the same for the other slice. Top each with half of cooked onions and the cheese slices. Finally top each with the other slice of bread, buttered side up.
4. To Cook in Panini Maker: Heat the panini maker or George Foreman Grill. Add both sandwiches and cook for about 4 minutes until golden brown and cheese has melted.
5. To Cook in Pan: Coat a nonstick pan with cooking spray. Add both sandwiches and cook for about 2-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and cheese has melted.
Makes 2 grilled sandwiches
Guinness is a popular Irish dry stout that originated in the brewery of Arthur Guinness (1725–1803) at St. James’s Gate, Dublin.
Despite its dark color and full flavor, Guinness has less calories than most average beers. In fact, at 125 calories for a 12-ounce glass, it has about 25 fewer calories than most ales or lagers. Budweiser by comparison has about 145 calories. Many people feel it’s far more satisfying than many of the lite beers on the market.
Trader Joe’s sells packages of roast beef, uncured, without nitrates. It’s available in 8 oz packages. Or, have the deli section of the supermarket thinly slice the roast beef.
The brand of bread I used is Oroweat Rye. It’s only 70 calories a slice. Most supermarkets sell this brand of rye.
Most supermarkets sell Sargento reduced-fat Swiss cheese. Each slice has 60 calories and 4 grams of fat. There are several other brands available along with reduced-fat Jarlsberg, Provolone or Mozzarella.
Most supermarkets and Trader Joe’s sell Guinness. You’ll also find it in most liquor stores. If you can’t find it use regular beer or even light beer.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 11-Blue
WW SmartPoints 11-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 9
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 grilled sandwich
394 calories, 10g fat, 3g sat. fat, 35mg chol, 26g protein, 45g carbs, 5g fiber, 893mg sodium, 3g sugar