This stacked enchilada casserole is easy to make and has a wonderful depth of flavor. You’ll gobble this up in no time but it does freeze well, too. Each skinny slice has 360 calories, 8 grams of fat and 6 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints. Perfect for nights when you want a fabulous home-cooked meal.
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
2 tablespoons honey
⅓ cup lemon juice
1½ teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or diced
¾ cup fat-free cottage cheese
½ cup fresh corn (off the cob) or frozen and defrosted
12-thin corn tortillas, see shopping tips
1 cup light cheddar cheese, shredded
2 tablespoons scallions, sliced or chopped
1 (10-12 oz) bottle or can red enchilada sauce, see shopping tips
6 tablespoons fat-free sour cream or fat-free plain yogurt
1. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together honey, lemon juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Add shredded chicken, cottage cheese, corn and mix well. Let it marinate in the fridge for at least 15 minutes or longer.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 9 x 9 inch baking pan with cooking spray.
3. Coat the bottom of the pan with ¼ cup enchilada sauce. Spread around. Spoon ⅔ cup of the marinated chicken with some of the juice over the top. Add 4 corn tortillas to cover bottom. They will overlap a bit. Spread ⅔ cup more chicken mixture evenly over tortillas, top with ½ cup shredded cheese. Add 4 more tortillas, Spread with ½ of remaining sauce, add remaining chicken and add 4 more tortillas. Spread remaining sauce all over top. Sprinkle with ½ cup shredded cheese and scallions. Cover casserole with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
4. Cool a bit and cut into 6 slices.
5. Serve each with 1 tablespoon of sour cream or yogurt dolloped over the top.
Makes 6 servings
Mission (extra thin) yellow corn tortillas are sold in most supermarkets. They’re only 40 calories each compared to most tortillas at 60 calories. If you can’t find them just use the regular corn tortillas.
Red enchilada sauce can be found in the Mexican foods aisle where salsa is sold. There are many types but I used Trader Joe’s brand. It comes in a bottle. I’ve also used Las Palmas Salsa Para Enchiladas, medium hot which comes in a can.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 6
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 9
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 8
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
360 calories, 8g fat, 3g sat. fat, 122mg chol, 42g prot, 24g carbs, 2g fiber, 495mg sod, 9g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
175 calories, 2g sat. fat, 11g protein, 7g sugar