This is a fabulous chicken dish! I’m a real teriyaki fan but, it’s usually loaded with sugar and sodium. This homemade sauce is much lighter and really yummy with a more subtle teriyaki flavor. Each chicken thigh, with sauce, has 142 calories, 4 grams of fat and 3 Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints. So low in calories and points you might want 1½ thighs or even 2 of them!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours on low heat
2 pounds (8 thighs) boneless skinless chicken thighs, see prep tip
1 cup onions, chopped
⅓ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
¼ cup sugar
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
2 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ginger, from a jar, see shopping tip
Black pepper, to taste
1. Place chicken in crock pot. Sprinkle onions over the chicken.
2. In a separate bowl, combine soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger and pepper. Pour sauce over chicken.
3. Cover crock pot and cook on low heat for about 4-5 hours or until chicken is tender. Check after 4 hours.
5. Remove chicken from crock pot.
6. Skim fat from cooking liquid, if there is any.
7. To serve: Top 1 piece of chicken with a little sauce. Serve with 1 small baked potato or ½ cup brown rice. Mash some teriyaki sauce into the baked potato and drizzle with little more teriyaki sauce over the top. If using rice, place chicken on top of rice and drizzle teriyaki sauce all over top of chicken and rice. In addition the chicken could be shredded and topped on the potato or rice.
Makes 8 chicken thighs with sauce (each thigh 4 ounces and sauce)
Ginger (in a jar) can be found in most supermarkets in the produce section where they display garlic, in a jar.
If the chicken thighs are too big, trim each to be 4 ounces.
Weight Watchers Freestyle SmartPoints 3
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 3
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS:for 1 (4 oz) chicken thigh with sauce
142 calories, 4g fat, 1g sat. fat, 85mg chol, 21g protein, 8g carbs, 0g fiber, 609mg sodium, 7g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
134 calories, 1g sat. fat, 20g protein, 6g sugar