This super yummy recipe is a guest post from Wendy Zitzman of LaaLoosh. She specializes in easy to make, low calorie, Weight Watchers friendly recipes. Last week she did a wonderful interview about me and Skinny Kitchen on LaaLoosh. My decadent cornbread casserole was shared too! Today Wendy is sharing one of the most popular recipes on her website!
Crock Pot Chicken Burritos-5 POINTS +
A Mexican food lover’s dream, these low calorie crock pot burritos simmer all day, so at dinner time you just assemble and heat quickly in oven to melt the cheese. The tender and juicy chicken is perfectly flavored, and the enchilada sauce and melted cheese give it an extra kick. The key to making these delicious burritos just 5 Points + was using low carb tortillas and eliminating the beans and rice. I bulked it up a but with some green peppers and onions, which also added more wonderful flavor. Feel free to add in some extra veggies if you want. If you don’t mind spending the extra points, by all means, add in some beans, corn, rice….whatever you fancy. Top with some optional sour cream and fresh cilantro, and these light Crock Pot Chicken Burritos will blow your mind.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 6 hours
1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts
1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
1 large green pepper, thinly sliced
1 (4oz) can diced chiles
1 packet taco seasoning
8 whole wheat, low carb flour tortillas (I used THESE)
1 (15oz) can red enchilada sauce
1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup reduced fat Mexican-style cheese, shredded
1. Place chicken, tomatoes, chiles, green peppers, onion, garlic, and taco seasoning packet into a slow cooker and cook on low for about 5-6 hours. Shred chicken with two forks and stir. Drain off excess liquid.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray an 11 x 13 inch baking dish with nonfat cooking spray.
3. To make burritos, spoon about 3/4 cup burrito mixture down the center of each tortilla. Top with 1 tbsp shredded cheese. Fold up burrito and place in baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
4. Pour enchilada sauce over burritos and top with the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese.
5. Place in oven and cook until cheese melts and begins to bubble, about 10-12 minutes.
Entire recipe makes 8 servings
Serving size is 1 burrito
. Each serving = 5 Points +
PER SERVING: 210 calories; 7g fat; 21g carbohydrates; 23g protein; 9g fiber
**For the link to the actual recipe on LaaLoosh, click here: Crock Pot Chicken Burritos