Low calorie, low carb, super healthy and amazingly delicious! So yummy, I bet you’ll want to make it all the time. I do! Each ¾ cup serving has only 64 calories, 3 grams of fat, and 1 Weight Watchers SmartPoints. It makes a wonderful side dish for chicken, turkey or beef. You can easily doubled the serving size to create a wonderfully satisfying main course dinner.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
1 cup onions, diced
1 cup celery, diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 (16 oz) bag cauliflower rice or 1 head cauliflower, see shopping tips
1½ teaspoons dried sage
Salt and pepper, to taste
½ cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1½ cups mushrooms, chopped
1 (3 oz) fully cooked, low fat chicken sausage (cut into very small pieces), I used Trader Joe’s, see shopping tips
1. Start with a bag of riced cauliflower or make your own. See prep tips, below.
2. Place onions and celery on a microwave safe plate. Cook in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, to soften.
3. Add olive oil to a large, nonstick pan and heat over medium-high heat. Add garlic, softened onions/celery and sauté for 2 minutes.
4. Mix in cauliflower rice, sage, salt and pepper. Cook and stir for about 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and continue to cook for 3 minutes. Stir often.
5. Add mushrooms, sausage pieces, and continue cooking another 5 minutes. Stir often.
6. Serve warm or store in refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Makes 5⅓ cups total, 7 servings. Each serving, ¾ cup.
To make riced cauliflower: wash and dry cauliflower. Remove core and coarsely chop into florets. Blot with paper towels to completely dry. Place half of cauliflower in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is small and has the texture of rice or couscous. Be sure to not over process or it will get mushy. Add to a large bowl. Repeat processing with remaining cauliflower. Or, using the largest holes on a box cheese grater, grate each cauliflower floret into small pieces, similar to the size of a grain of rice. One head cauliflower, shredded into very small pieces makes about 4-5 cups cauliflower rice. Any extra cauliflower rice, freezes great.
I used 1 of Trader Joe’s Garlic and Herb Chicken sausage. These are fully cooked. So lean, they are all natural and gluten-free. Each has only 7 grams of fat. If you don’t have a Trader joe’s, use any lean chicken or turkey sausage. Make sure they are fully cooked.
Trader Joe’s sells a 16 ounce bag of riced cauliflower. You will love it. It saves you a lot of time, not having to prep the cauliflower. In addition, many supermarkets, Target and Walmart carry Green Giant’s (16 oz) bag of cauliflower crumble in the produce section.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 1
Weight Watchers Points Plus 2
|SKINNY FACTS: for ¾ cup serving
64 calories, 3g fat, 0.5g sat. fat, 9mg chol, 5g prot, 6g carbs, 1g fiber, 212mg sod, 2g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
37 calories, 0.5g sat.fat, 3g protein, 0g sugar