It’s a salad, a sandwich and an egg dish all in one! This beautifully constructed meal is not a typically dish and is really delicious! It’s made with mostly refrigerator friendly ingredients too. It’s especially wonderful to serve on a special occasion for brunch. One delightful serving has 221 calories, 8 grams of fat and 5 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS. It’s pure bliss!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
2-4 slices wheat sourdough bread, depending on the size, see shopping tip
4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
4 ounces, ham or turkey ham, thinly sliced, see shopping
4 slices reduced-fat cheese, such as Jarlsberg or Swiss
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or cider vinegar
4 eggs, I like Egg-Land’s Best, see healthy benefits
Ingredients for salad
6 cups spring mix or field greens lettuce
1 cup cherry tomato, sliced in half.
2 tablespoons Girard’s Light Champagne Vinaigrette or your favorite light Italian dressing, see shopping tip
1. Preheat broiler.
2. Toast the bread and spread one side of each with mustard. Top the mustard side with 1 slice of ham and 1 slice of cheese. Place all on a baking sheet.
3. In a large pan filed halfway with water bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the vinegar. Gently add each egg to the water, see prep tip. Cook for 3-5 minutes, until desired consistency. If you like your egg runnier cook for the shorter time.
4. In the meantime, place the baking pant of open-faced sandwiches in the oven and broil until cheese is melted. Keep an eye on it so it doesn’t burn. Remove from oven, plate each.
5. In a bowl and the greens and tomatoes. Toss with 2 tablespoons dressing. Divide the salad and top each open-faced sandwich with the salad.
6. Top each salad with 1 poached egg.
7. Serve at once with a fork and knife.
Makes 4 servings
Whenever a recipe calls for using whole eggs, Egg-Land’s Best eggs are my very favorite to use. They have less saturated fat, less cholesterol, more Vitamin D, more Vitamin E and double the Omega 3 than regular eggs. They’re sold in most supermarkets.
It’s simple to make this dish vegetarian. Either leave out the ham or use vegetarian deli slices instead of ham, such as Ives deli slices. Most supermarkets carry this brand.
Most loaves of wheat sourdough or cracked wheat sourdough have very large slices. If using this type of sourdough, you’ll only need ½ slice of bread for each serving. I bought it at Trader Joe’s. Each slice typically has about 130 calories.
Packages of reduced-fat sliced cheese are sold in most supermarkets. I bought Jarlsberg and Swiss at Trader Joe’s.
Girard’s Light Champagne Dressing is delicious. Most supermarkets sell it in the salad dressing aisle.
To ensure that the egg yolk stays whole while poaching, crack each egg into a custard cup or small dish first instead of cracking right into the pan. This way you can gently slide the eggs into the water.
Vinegar is added to the water for poaching because the acid helps keeps the egg white intact. Poaching water should be at a gentle simmer. They’ll be a little steam and tiny bubbles.
Weight Watchers (old points) 5
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 5
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
221 calories, 8g fat, 17g protein, 17g carbs, 2g fiber, 548mg sodium, 1g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for 1 serving
456 calories, 26g fat, 1g sat. fat, 181mg chol, 28g protein, 24g carbs, 2g fiber, 1,330mg sodium, 0g sugar