This is a super meal in itself! So satisfying smells amazing while cooking and tastes fantastic! It freezes great, too. Each main course serving has 251 calories, 4 grams of fat, and 6 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 7 Green. Although this is a crock-pot recipe, I’ve included directions for making it on the stove-top.
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey, see shopping tips
- 1½ cups onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (26.46 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 (26 oz) jar pasta sauce, such as Classico Tomato Basil, Prego or Ragu’s Original pasta sauce or your favorite
- 2 cups zucchini
- 1 cup red bell pepper, chopped
- 1½ tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1½ teaspoons steak seasoning or Lawry’s seasoning salt
- 3 cups cooked whole grain elbow macaroni (1½ cups uncooked) or penne pasta
- 2 cups fresh spinach, packed
- Black pepper, to taste
In a large nonstick pan or soup pot, brown ground beef, onions, and garlic until ground beef is no longer pink.
To make in the crock-pot: add the cooked beef, broth, tomatoes, pasta sauce, zucchini, red bell pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and steak seasoning. Cover and cook in crockpot 6 hours on low heat or 3 hours on high heat.
Stir in cooked macaroni and spinach. Cover and continue to cook for 15 minutes until heated.
To make on the stovetop: add the cooked beef, broth, tomatoes, pasta sauce, zucchini, red bell pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and steak seasoning. Bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer, cover, and simmer for 35 minutes. Stir in cooked pasta and spinach. Cover and heat for 5 minutes.
Makes 12 cups total (each serving 1½ cups)
I used Trader Joe’s 96% fat-free ground beef. Most supermarkets sell lean ground beef.
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 6-Blue
WW SmartPoints 7-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 6
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (1½ cups each)
251 calories, 4g fat, 1g sat. fat, 25g chol, 18g protein, 37g carbs, 6g fiber, 1,172mg sodium, 12g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
212 calories, 1g sat. fat, 9g sugar, 17g protein
Serving: 1.5cupsCalories: 251kcalCarbohydrates: 37gProtein: 18gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 1172mgFiber: 6gSugar: 12gBlue Smart Points: 6Green Smart Points: 7Plus Points: 6