Here’s a vegetarian egg scramble that’s simple to make, delicious and satisfying. I used mostly egg whites and only 1 egg. I found adding just one egg really makes a difference. This scramble comes together really quickly once the onions and bell peppers are cooked in the microwave. Each serving has 179 calories, 5 grams of fat and 4 Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 8 minutes
1 tablespoon reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light
1 cup purple or yellow onions, chopped
½ cup yellow bell peppers, chopped
½ cup red bell pepper, chopped
6 egg whites (¾ cup)
1 large egg, I like Eggland’s Best eggs, see substitution tip
¼ cup (1 oz) crumbled fat-free feta cheese, see shopping tip
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. On a microwave safe plate add onions and peppers. Cook for about 4-5 minutes until soft.
2. In a nonstick pan, melt 1 tablespoon of reduced-fat butter or Smart Balance Light. Add cooked onions and peppers and saute over medium-high heat until onions are golden, about 2-3 minutes.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and egg. Pour them into pan. Scramble until cooked.
4. Divide egg mixture among 2 plates. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons feta cheese on top of each. Add salt and pepper, if desired to taste.
5. Serve with sliced tomatoes and 1 slice whole wheat toast, if desired.
Makes 2 servings
If you only want to make this scramble using egg whites, use 8 (1 cup) instead of 6 egg whites.
In addition, you can use all red bell peppers or all yellow. I used the combination for color.
Most supermarkets now carry fat-free feta cheese. You’ll find it either in the cheese aisle or gourmet cheese section.
Weight Watchers (old points) 3
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 4
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
179 calories, 5g fat, 19g protein, 13g carbs, 3g fiber, 376mg sodium, 1g sugar
|FAT FACTS: for Denny’s Restaurant 2 egg scramble
250 calories, 21g fat, 13g protein, 1g carbs, 0g fiber, 235mg sodium, 0g sugar