Watch boring, steamed green beans come alive when made like a Caesar salad. It’s my new favorite way to enjoy them these days. Unlike a salad, this dish is so good served warmed. Each serving has 82 calories, 3 grams of fat and 2 Weight Watchers SmartPoints.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 12 minutes
Ingredients for Green Beans:
1 pound fresh green beans
2 cups water
Ingredients for Topping:
1 slice multi-grain or whole wheat bread, I used Milton’s Original Healthy Multi-Grain bread
1 teaspoon reduced-fat butter
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1½ tablespoons Girards Light Caesar Dressing or Cardini’s, see shopping tip
1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, grated or shredded
1. In a medium saucepan, add beans and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 8-10 minutes, until tender crisp.
2. Drain green beans and set aside. Keep warm.
3. To makes crumb topping: Toast bread and spread with butter. Sprinkle top with garlic powder. Zap in microwave for 10 seconds. Place in blender and grind into crumbs.
6. Add the warm green beans to a serving plate. Drizzle dressing over top. Sprinkle the crumbs and then Parmesan cheese all over the beans.
7. Serve warm. If prepping the beans and everything in advance, just reheat the beans in the microwave before adding the dressing and crumb topping.
Makes 4 servings. Each serving, about ¾ cup each
Green beans are un-ripe or immature pods obtained from the bean plant belonging to common fabaceae family. They’re referred to as “common beans,” probably because they all derived from a common bean ancestor that originated in Peru.
Green beans are a very good source of vitamins, minerals, and plant derived micronutrients. They’re a rich source of dietary fiber and contain excellent levels of vitamin A.
Most supermarkets carry Girard’s Light Caesar Dressing, Cardini’s Light Caesar or Caesar Vinaigrette or Ken’s Steak House Lite Caesar dressing.
Weight Watchers SmartPoints 2
Weight Watchers POINTS PLUS 2
Weight Watchers (old points) 1
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving (about ¾ cup each)
82 calories, 3g fat, 1g sat. fat, 3mg chol, 4g prot, 13g carbs, 4g fiber, 121mg sodium, 1g sugar
|FACTS: for SmartPoints
69 calories, 1g sat. fat, 1g sugar, 3g protein