(NEW RECIPE) You’ve probably heard of Hasselback potatoes. They’re a baking potato, sliced accordion style. I thought it might be fun to create a protein-packed version. To replace the potatoes, I used a large turkey smoked sausage. And to add some extra flavor, I’ve topped the sausage with a bbq sauce and mustard glaze before it’s roasted. Your house will smell amazing while you wait for this easy to make dinner! Each serving has 257 calories, 12 grams fat and 7 Blue WW Freestyle SmartPoints, and 8 Green.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
1 large red or yellow onion, peeled and quartered, layers separated and sliced into thick chunks
1 red & 1 yellow bell pepper, seeds removed and cut into 2-inch slices or both the same color
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
½ teaspoon garlic powder
1 (13 oz) Hillshire Farms Smoked Turkey Sausage or Turkey Polska Kielbasa, see shopping tips
¼ cup bbq sauce, I like Sweet Baby Rays or Bullseye or use your favorite
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard or yellow mustard
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.
2. In a large bowl, add onions, peppers, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a little salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Toss well to be sure everything is coated with oil and seasoned evenly. Pour onto the prepared baking sheet and place in the center of the oven. Bake for 15 minutes.
3. Place the sausage on a cutting board and using a sharp knife score it into thin even layers. Be sure to not cut each slice all the way through, just halfway through. You want the complete sausage in tack.
4. In a small bowl mix together the bbq sauce and mustard. Spread the sauce over the top of the sausage. Add the sausage to the baking sheet with vegetables and bake for 30-35 minutes until onions and peppers are well cooked.
5. To serve: cut the sausage into 4 servings. Divide the onions and peppers among 4 servings and top each with the sausage. Any leftovers freeze great!
Makes 4 servings
Hasselbacking is a cooking method in which potatoes or other items are sliced not-quite-all-the-way through in thin, even layers, which can be stuffed or topped with additional flavorings.
Look for Hillshire Turkey Polska Kielbasa or Hillshire Farms Turkey Smoked Sausage or use your favorite. I used Hillshire Farms Turkey Smoked Sausage. Each 2 oz serving has 80 calories, 5g fat, 1.5g sat fat, 35mg chol, 3g carbs, 6g prot, 0g fiber, 500mg sod, 0g fiber
WW Freestyle SmartPoints 7-Blue
WW SmartPoints 8-Green
WW POINTS PLUS 7
|SKINNY FACTS: for 1 serving
257 calories, 12g fat, 3g sat. fat, 49mg chol, 24g carbs, 16g prot, 3g fiber, 989mg sod, 11g sugar
|FACTS: for Freestyle SmartPoints
211 calories, 3g sat. fat, 15g protein, 10g sugar